Asthma Community
Shortness of breath/ constant yawning

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Shortness of breath/ constant yawning

I am a 19 yr old female. I run about 30 miles a week, and have been extremely active my entire life. Last week, I started experiencing shortness of breath which causes me to CONSTANTLY force myself to yawn to attempt to get a deep breath. I'm breathing in and out normally, it just feels like I'm not getting enough oxygen so I have to try to yawn to feel better. It usually takes a few tries before I can get a deep breath. I don't show any other symptoms (no fever, lightheadedness, no fainting, no rash, etc...) I don't have a pet, and I'm only allergic to pollen (which causes my eyes to itch in the early spring).

Went to the Dr. and got tested for asthma which came back showing I did NOT have it. They didn't really know what to do about so they sent me home. It got worse so I went to the hospital to have it checked out. They ran an EKG, cat scan, checked the oxygen levels in my blood, drew blood, urine sample, and a chest x-ray. All my results came back normal. They ruled out pneumonia, pulmonary embolisms, blood clots, lung infection, etc... I'm not the least bit stressed or anxious. I haven't changed the location of my running or drastically increased the amount of exercise I'm doing. It came on suddenly and randomly, and doesn't seem to be tied to anything in particular. It's really bad late at night. I keep trying to get a deep breath and can't, so it makes me anxious which makes it worse. Vicious circle kinda thing. Any input on this?? Surprisingly enough, I talked to my sister after my hospital visit, and she experienced the same exact thing and got no diagnosis. This shortness of breath is so frustrating. Anybody have this and actually get a diagnosis or solution!?
It might be something called hyperventilation syndrome.  Bascially your system is overbreathing causing a decrease in the amount of carbon dioxide in your blood which causes you to feel you need aren't getting air.  The best way to get rid of it is to do some yoga type breathing (don't yawn it makes it worse, slow your breathing down and take normal breathes).  Breathe in for 7 seconds, hold for 7 seconds, breathe out for 7 seconds.  

Stress is a funny thing, sometimes you don't think you are stressed at all when your body thinks otherwises.  
I'll give it a try, thanks!!