Asthma Expert Forum
Sinusitis/asthma/MRSA

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Sinusitis/asthma/MRSA

I had a MRSA skin infection 8 mths ago which cleared up but a couple of days after I started taking my presciptions, I started a cough then it seemed to get worse with various symptons off and on of hoarseness, cough, difficulty breathing for about 2 mths.  I went back to dr. and have been receiving treatments of steriods, inhaler, antibotic (antibiotic) which seem to improve but then comes back and we start all over for each mths for the last 5 1/2 mths. I had severe shortness of breath and went to ER and received multiple breathing treatments and steriods Back to dr and received a different steriod, antibotic (antibiotic), and nebulizer for home treatments.Had CT scan which showed massive sinusitis. Received augmentin  then severe shortness of breath again. Went to dr and stopped taking the augmentin and started another antibotic (antibiotic). Increased number of  home breathing treatments along with QVAR. I am concerned that the MRSA staph is related to my illness.  Any experience with similar situation?  
I could find only one report that suggested a possible relationship between staphylococcal endotoxin and nasal polyps and aspirin intolerant asthma.  You described massive sinusitis and this could be a site of staphylococcal growth and the production of staph endotoxin.  This is just one report but it supports the possibility of a relationship between staph infection, nasal polyposis, staph endotoxin and asthma.  You may have to have more aggressive therapy for the "massive sinusitis", which may include surgery.

Your description of events suggests that asthma has been the cause of your recurrent severe shortness of breath.  This should be confirmed and your doctors may want to consider the possibility of another cause of the shortness of breath.

You may want to share this citation with your doctors.  It is from the Institution Department of Allergy & Rheumatology, Ajou University School of Medicine, Suwon, Korea.  Specific immunoglobulin E for staphylococcal enterotoxins in nasal polyps from patients with aspirin-intolerant asthma by Suh, Y J. Yoon, S H. Sampson, A P. Kim, H J. Kim, S H. Nahm, D H. Suh, C H. Park, H S in Clinical & Experimental Allergy, 2004 August, Volume 34, Number 8, pages 1270-1275.

Good luck.