Asthma Community
Steam room asthma
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Steam room asthma

I am a mild asthma sufferer that has become worse since a bout of whooping cough last year. I always have small amounts of phlegm that i bring up with just a slight clearing of the throat action. It's annoying but sufferable.
After a workout today I had a steam room session. I found after a short period of time that I was having real difficulty breathing and was verging on hyperventilating in my efforts to breathe. I had to get out a take my ventolin. It still took a while to settle.... any ideas on what happened. I was under the impression that steam was good for asthma not bad. Thanks
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
144586_tn?1284669764
Apparently, people have different reactions to steam rooms. I because convinced to try one by a sprite ninety-five year old (the greatest thing for your lungs, he said), who gathered with his buddies in a "Russian Bath" every week for steam treatment. If you have never been in one, they have bunk beds, a gym, a pool filled with ice-water, two steam baths, and a restaurant where everybody sits naked on towels and orders pastrami on rye and various Russian mineral waters and herbals. Then you get to get beat by a Russian with some sort of branches. Anyways, to cut to the chase, I entered the steam room and there were a dozen older men there, I would guess not one under eighty five having a grand old time. I developed difficulty breathing, had to run out and collapsed on the floor, quite embarrassed. My older friend came out and said: "some people seem to have a lot of trouble with steam baths".
Blank
757137_tn?1347200053
I have COPD and I love steam baths.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Asthma Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity