Asthma Community
Strange Breathing Trouble

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Strange Breathing Trouble

Hello everyone. I was diagnosed as an Asthmatic back when I was 8 or 9. I am now 17. The past three or four days I have been having trouble breathing. It feels like I am breathing through eight straws. It's a decent amount of airflow, but only just enough to keep me from blacking out. I get a minor lightheadedness if I don't breathe in deeply at least once in a while.

I'm not sure what could cause this. I have upper back pain on the left side beneath my left sholderblade and to the right a little bit, but everyone I know says it's muscular, and I had a physical therapist (not on duty) feel me and tell me it was also muscular. My back pops near where the pain is whenever I straighten it out after slouching over a bit. I have no clue if this pain is related to the trouble breathing, but I thought I'd add it in.

Lastly, the strange part about this whole trouble breathing is that it occurs during exercise as it should (I'm barely in the obese category, but nonetheless I am...), but doesn't occur whenever I'm walking around or doing something to keep my mind busy. Does this mean it's mental?

I was going through a mini panic attack last night because it seemed that my breathing was so bad and my chest felt like it was tightening up or burning a little bit, but I took my inhaler and within 3 minutes my body was relaxing and my breathing felt normal again. As soon as I woke up the trouble breathing was back as it was the day before. However, I just took my inhaler now and it seems that it's not making a huge difference. What's going on? Is this all mental?
Oh and to add on:

I just took a short 3 minute run & 2 minute walk. My heart rate afterwards is averaging 115. At rest, I average between 75-90 depending on the moment.

While I was running, it felt like my heart kind of hurt. Once again, this is very possible due to my 1-2 points over the "obese" rating on the BMI scale. I think I forgot to mention that I'm also a male, if that matters.

It appears that I breathe normally under a heavy load of exercise... But not when I'm resting. How strange...
bump
Needless to say, young man, you need an in-person work-up by a physician, preferably in an ER in  a teaching hospital. An x-ray film is in  order. Air hunger is nothing to fool around with. I strongly suspect you have a biofilm in side your alveoli, probably due to a low-grade infection, and that this is interfering with the transfer of oxygen. These low-grade infections.can develop in those prone to asthma. This is why many asthmatics obtain relief from their asthma following antibiotic treatment. This consistent with air-hunger at rest, but not when exercising. You can purchase an expectorant and see if the mucus is colored with a yellow tinge. In any event get a physician's consultation.
Unfortunately, I do not have health insurance. I've applied for it, but it takes up to 8 weeks and it's only been 4 days so far.

However, I can say though that my inhaler isn't effective for this situation. It was mental when I thought it worked (which trouble breathing may be mental).

However, my back pain seems to be moving down and to the left so that it's in the middle back area but more to the side. It seems the muscle over there is still tight as well. Also, pain has occurred on the right side of my sternum near the top of my chest (only whenever I breath out all the way & sink in chest), and it seems that pain is on the right side as well as the left of my back now. Thankfully. the people that have looked at me for free have said that I can relax because it doesn't sound like a death-causing illness but rather chronic pain that can be dealt with whenever I see a chiropractor or physical therapist.

Thank you for the input though--I will mention it to the doctor whenever I go see one.