Asthma Community
Theophylline
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Theophylline

Are any of you taking theophylline for your asthma?  If so, have you had a lot of side effects from it?  My doc is considering trying this, just looking for people's experience.
Related Discussions
4 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
90270_tn?1199338069
I took it years ago and it seemed to help. One thing I remember is that it did cause me to be a bit jittery, but I am sensitive to alot of meds. Doctors also monitored me for theophylline toxicity on a regular basis.  I was on it for over a year and then they switched my meds around to what they are currently because I was still having alot of problems with my symptoms...Flovent, serevent (essentially advair), singulair, zithromax and xopenex ( I am on several others but these are specifically for my asthmatic problems). Some people do very well on Theo...I hope that it works out for you. Sunny
Blank
312330_tn?1245180352
I did the serevent and flovent first....but didn't get a good response with that.  Did the singulair for a while, but was taken off of that....I have CSS which is what causes the asthma.  I use xopenex as my rescue med...and right now do Qvar and Foradil for my maintenance meds right now...but obviously am not under control.
Blank
it seems to cause slight headache for me, but can it help oxygen flow to your heart and angina?
I heard that it isn't prescribed because the effective and toxic doses are so close
Blank
I'm trying 400mg/day but it doesn't seem to do much; I heard it has many side effects but don't know what they are?

is spiriva a better asthma med since it isn't a steroid?
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Asthma Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...