Asthma Community
Tonsil surgery wheezing, can't sleep??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Tonsil surgery wheezing, can't sleep??

My asthma has been terrible since Nov and I have bad sleep apnea and sleep on a ventilator and oxygen.  I kept on going to ENTs for the past few years but couldn't get one to do tonsil surgery, turbinate/septum, UPPP surgery.  I wheeze when I exhale now for months.  

It really bothers me that maybe my doctors were misleading me and didn't give me the standard tonsil or soft palate surgery that I need?  I read that tonsil surgery helps asthma.  Even prednisone doesn't help my wheezing and sleep apnea that much.  Thanks!
Have you ever been looked into for acid reflux/GERD?  It is related to both asthma and sleep apnea.  Prednisone should help with asthma symptoms and GERD can give you the exact same symptoms (I'm proof of that - wheezing, lowered peak flows, positive lung function tests, coughing).

The best test for this is 24 pH monitoring or impedance testing - it measures the reflux over a 24 hour period to diagnose.

You could try some lifestyle modifications first - don't eat for 3 hours before bed, sleep with your bed elevated 6-8 inches (not just extra pillows - use blocks under your matress or frame), avoid fried/spicy food; caffeine, alcohol, chocolate.  I would try all that for 2 weeks and take gaviscon before bed and see if it makes a difference in your overall symptoms.  

Hopefully that helps a bit and gives you something to think about.
what do you take for GERD, I take nexium, zantac, gaviscon, but still have wheezing
I'm trying allergy shots but am still on the ventilator and oxygen and sick
can tonsil surgery help my asthma and sleep apnea??  I tried everything but have lost hope and my life is destroyed by these sleep breathing problems.  I'm exhausted, can't remember or think straight, it is terrible!  please help!!!

I started allergy shots but it takes 6 months
Try liquid Benadryl you could be allergic to something it sounds like an allergic reaction.
Maybe something in your house is causing it. I found out it was my air ducts they needed to be professionally cleaned. I also had my carpet professionally cleaned I would like to have the carpet removed. Still working on that. But my
breathing has gotten better.
Shouldn't you be under the care of a lung MD? Beware of prednisone. It promotes the overgrowth of Canidida albicans which converts from a yeast to a fungus. You may want to have yourself tested fro this pathogen. I did and tested positive. With treatment my asthma is much reduced. I use natural anti-inflammatories whenever possible.
I take scrophularia sometimes but don't know if it is anti inflammatory
what do you take for candida?
I take bendrayl and allegra d but it doesn't seem to do much- Im so tired and have headaches and terrible fog from the sleep disordered breathing
I sleep on a machine and oxygen every night

I'm trying a low carb no wheat, no bread diet.  is gluten like a wheat or bread?  maybe I have celiac.
the prednisone I heard can cause pancreas damage and diabetes?  is that true?
I strongly suspect I have celiac disease....  is there like a blood test for that?
I have GERD and have this vomit reflux sometimes.  I should take nexium and zantac more regularly
how can I please cure my sleep apnea?  I take klonopin/trazodone and sleep on the ventilator
Some of your symptoms suggest candidiasis. This ailment is often ignored, a serious oversight when the lungs are involved. Getting off carbohydrates will deprive candida of food that it loves. Prednisone, in addition to causing an overgrowth of candida, is harmful to the adrenal glands. Try to increase your intake of alkaline foods and decrease the acidic ones. Ask to be tested for candida. And if you are congested, use a mucus thinner. These are available over-the-counter.