Asthma Community
Turmeric For Asthma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Turmeric For Asthma

Does Anyone know the effects of Turmeric on asthma ? i read that turmeric is good for imflamation in the body. My thoughs are that asthma is a form of inflamation (inflammation) (bronchial inflamation (inflammation)) , hence i think it may be beneficial for asthma. However i want to be sure that there are no negative effects for asthma. Before i ask my brother , who suffers from chronic asthma to eat food with added Turmeric.  Any thoughts from anyone?
Yes turmeric powder is very good for you.It is like a natural steroid and no side effects.You can take half a spoonful stirred in warm milk or warm water as well.
I also suggest the following.
The Yoga Pranayam (breathing exercises) will  help with asthma  problems.
Build up your timing gradually. If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after 1 minute.

Bhastrika - Take a long deep breath into the lungs(chest not tummy) via the nose and then completely breathe out through the nose. Duration upto 5 minutes.

Kapalbhati -(Do it before eating) Push air forcefully out through the nose about once per second. Stomach will itself go in(contract in). The breathing in(through the nose) will happen automatically. Establish a rhythm and do for 20 to 30 minutes twice a day.(Max 60 min/day) Not for pregnant women. Seriously ill people do it gently.

Anulom Vilom –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 20 to 30  minutes twice a day(maximum 60 minutes in one day).
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.

Bhramri Pranayam -Close eyes. Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three fingers on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in through nose. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 5 to 12  times

Once you are better, continue the pranayam once a day.
Be patient, as the benefits will show over a period of months.Only by doing you will benefit
and feel good because you are helping your body.Those who say I have tried everything....
will be amazed at the result of doing pranayam.
thank you i will tell him about this and just email him this paragraph. i tried bikram a few times do you think this is better than bikram yoga??
A friend of mine had chronic Asthma, (up to 30 puffs a day on this puffer) he started taking Mona Vie and after 2 months noticed he was down to once a day, that was a few months ago now and he said that he is down to once a week if that.
If you want to know any more let me know.