Asthma Expert Forum
What to do in an emergency with bronchial spasm

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Twice in the last six months, I have had an episode where I cannot get air through my thoat.  I must have been getting a little through, however, because, when trying to pull in air, I made a thin sound.  I tried to stay calm and after about a minute, my throat relaxed and I was able to breathe again.

Both episodes were precipated by a coughing fit, which I tried to suppress, and my trying to talk to excuse myself.  I am not allergic to anything that I know of except a few prescription medications which cause a rash or severe stomach burning.  It is also not anxiety attacks, I'm sure.   am going to the doctor Monday when the offices open. However, I would like to know what to do in this situation.  

felt like I could've died, if my throat did not open back up.  I didn't think that there would be enought time for the emergency squad to arrive.  Is there anything I can do in this situation to save my life?    
Sounds like you may have had abnormal closure of your vocal cords.  It could have been in response to aspiration of food or liquid, as would have been the cough.  Some individuals experience this when they have gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD).  Another possibility is that you could be having vocal cord dysfunction (VCD).  You should consult with a lung specialist about these events, and ask about the possibilities mentioned here.  Please read our vocal cord dysfunction information at http://www.nationaljewish.org/disease-info/diseases/vcd/index.aspx to learn more.

Feeling that you might die must have been a very scary situation.  Everything should be done to find the cause of these events, so they can be avoided in the future.

Good luck
Take puffs of ALBUTEROL and PRIMATENE inhaler and using a steam humidifier breathe the hot steam through ur mouth.It helps in stopping my attack.I am having  these for 4-5 months everyday due to chronic bronchitis...
Drink hot tea of ginger and honey it stops the swelling
Hi,,,,,I had one of those scares,you mentioned last year,,,,I have copd..and work on an open dock with 47 doors open no heat,,,In newengland it gets might cold,that night it was tempature was 17 dgrees,I was stacking a pallet,go on my fork lift coughed twice then a horrible weeze like .when  at a time in life whe  suliva gets caght in your throat from candy,,,very very little air getting in just that horrible wheeze,then nothing o no air like someone put cement in my throat,,My boss callled 911,then i wheezed  again and remebered I had albuterAL IN MY WORK BAG,,iF IT WERNT FOR THE WHEEZE,fOR ONE I WOULD HAVE BEN DEAD BY THE TIME THE RESCUE GOT THERE,i STARTED BREATHING AND MY BOSS WAS STILL ON THE PHONE WITH 911,I TOLD THEM TO FORGET IT,,tHIS ATTACK CAME OUT OF NOWHERE,,,,ALL I COULD THINK OF OTHER THEN TRYING TO GET AIR IS MY WIFE AND KIDS GETTING THAT PHONE CALL,,,BY THE WAY NOT THAT IT MAKES A DIFFRENCE iM 46
PS,,i HAD NOTHING TO EAT FOR 12 HOURS,,,,PRIOR TO THAT ATTACK,,,JUST A COUGH AND NO AIR,,,
I am 70 ,a non -smoker recently diagnosed with Asthma{"a mild form of the disease"per my pumonologist}.Recently,I've experienced ,especiallymwhen I yawn,a sudden,I guess bronchu spasm.It feels like my "windpipe" can't open or re-open for just a few seconds.    I am using Advair,I have had some reflux  problems in the past,but these episodes  don't seem to follow eating and I have no coughing before or after.
       Is this typical and ?Shallow breaths are ok.Any thoughts?    BTwillow
teresa hale writer of the book revolutionary 5 day program to treat asthma recommends shallow breathing and sleeping on left side to control the asthma. the book is great with excellent amazon reviews