Asthma Community
Wheezing while lying down

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Wheezing while lying down

For the past week or so, I have started wheezing the second I lay down in bed. I have had a cold this week, or so I have been told by my doctor (personally, I think it's bronchitis), but the cold is pretty much gone, yet I continue to wheeze the *second* I lay down.

The doctor gave me an Albuterol inhaler, but it hasn't helped one bit. I do have asthma, but - like I said - the inhaler isn't doing anything at all for me as far as the wheezing is concerned.

I tried laying on one side, on the other, tried sleeping raised up in an adjustable bed, but no matter what I do, I start wheezing the second I lay down. I've been losing sleep over this because if I try to sleep, the wheezing just gets worse until I have to sit up. The most sleep I might get at one time is an hour or two if I am lucky. And, all this lack of sleep is starting to get to me.

I know it's not allergies, because if it was, it would be bothering me all the time, not just when I am laying down. And I've tried sleeping in several different locations with the same results.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to clear this up and to get some sleep??
That used to happen to me a couple months ago. The only thing that helped me was i take my inhaler, turn a fan on or open an window, and laid on my back. I know that the cold usually doesn't help the asthma but for me thats one of the things that keeps my weezing away, which is werid.
I have used Albuterol, but like I stated, it doesn't seem to do much for me. It's getting to the point now where I pretty much just sit up until I can't stay awake anymore, fall asleep and then wake up a few hours later (if I'm lucky) wheezing like crazy.
I have exact problem you do, the second I lay down I weeze, It keeps me awake, when I sit up it stops!!   wish I could sleep setting up!! inhaler doesnt seem to work at all!, im haven a pulmonary test done next week to check my lungs out , I have bronchitis  , just dont know  why it wont go away, its been 3 weeks now.  last week  was spraying paint ant I had a bronchial spazm,it was like I was breaten throught a small straw, had to go to E R