Asthma Community
Wheezing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Wheezing

After slight exercise (not simply walking) i notice a wheezing when i exhale. I have played sports throughout my life and not been over weight. I am 21 and most of the information i can find on wheezing pertains to obese children. I have never had this problem before even after vigorous activity.

About 3 months ago i developed a cough, stuffy nose, and yellow mucus. After seeing a doctor i was prescribed medicine for bronchitis and nasonex. The nasonex takes care of the stuffy nose and i take claritin at nights so i dont wake up with symptoms, however i still have the cough and mucus (apparently it wasn't bronchitis). I am currently on medicine for a sinus infection.

could a sinus infection be the cause of the wheezing?

also i have began to develop allergy's to foods but have not been tested for dust, pollen, etc. After a night at a friends house (smoke, mold, dust, pets) i woke up and had a very tough time breathing ( closed up airway and wheezing). I went to the emergency room where they took x-rays on my lungs to make sure i didn't have pneumonia, i didn't. After breathing white heavy air from a mask for a few minutes i was fine (not really sure what i was breathing).

could the wheezing, or cough & mucus be because of an allergy?

could all of this be explained by asthma?
The first thing I stopped at was the word yellow next to mucus.  Unless yours is clear, its usually a sign of infection, like the bronchitis or sinus infection your doctor prescribed medicines for.  I have not, however, heard of a sinus infection causing wheezing.

Right now it could be most anything, asthma included, but I'm leaning towards a really terrible upper respiratory infection to cause the sinus problems, the bronch (or at least the symptoms), the awesome yellow mucus and the wheezing, etc.

Allergies are common in asthmatics, but just because you're developing some doesn't mean, "Hey, you have allergies?  Oh, yeah, it's totally asthma."

The "white heavy air" you were breathing was probably albuterol, the same medicine used in rescue inhalers, just in liquid form from a machine called a nebulizer.  The albuterol opens constricted airways, which is why you couldn't breathe.  Asthma is often compared to drowning without water.

If you're still having yellow mucus, you probably still have an infection.  If you're still having breathing problems, especially at night, ask for a temporary rescue inhaler so you can try to avoid trips to the ER.  Asthma doctors are usually asthma AND allergy doctors, so work with one to figure out whether you have it, but also tackle the upper respiratory thing because that could be the source of all your trouble.

Good luck.
Thanks, i'll definitely look into this more if the sinus infection antibiotics dont work and the wheezing continues.  
combivent may be better