Asthma Community
advair making asthma worse. need substitute

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

i wish i looked for info about advair on the internet before i started using it. it seems like advair is making my asthma worse. i started taking advair like 7 month ago and it seemed like for the first few months it was working but i had to become dependant on it everyday or else i would start weezing nonstop. after that my weezing was worst than ever and i started noticing that after i used advair my weezing was much worse. i saw this thread yesterday and now for a day and a half i havent used it and i feel alot better. i just started using sinus rinse today but i dont know if that had something to do with it also.

other than sinus rinse, can you all recommend some other type of medications that i can use instead of advair that gets rid of inflamation (inflammation)? im gonna call the pulmanologist in a couple days. i know hes gonna recommend that i stay on advair but i want to get an idea about whats been working with other people so i can mention it to him. thanks everyone
and another thing i forgot to ask. ive just been doing some research on singulair also and it seems like people are having alot of serious side effects including suicide. are there any drugs to help asthma that dont have these crazy side effects. i mean other than albuteral. it seems like advair is making alot of peoples asthma worse and singulair has a whole list of crazy side effects like people acting aggresive (aggressive), suicide, cant sleep, nightmares, depression. someone please tell me that there are some drugs to help asthma without all these side affects.
About advair i read in mens health june that advair is one of 8 drugs doctors would not take themself.It said it could make your asthma deadly.The FDA taged advair with a black box warning the agencys highest caution level.New strategy,no matter what you may have heard,aLABA,such as the one in Advair,is not your only option.mild asthma,an inhaled corticosteroid such as flovent is often all you need.Still wheezing,patients can also consider an inhaled corticosteroid paired with a leukotriene modifier.Hope this helps you,and doesnt worry you.Ive been to the doctor for broncitis and inflomation and there quick to put you on advair i guess they dont read there physicians desk reference
Have you tried symbicort? My asthma doc recently changed me to this and it has worked better for me.
I would second the Symbicort definitely !!
Both my 11 year old son and I take it and it has made an amazing difference.

My son was on Singular but we had to yank him off it as he became very uncharacteristically despondent, irritable, and very reactive.  He also complained of pain and numbness.
is Symbicort totaly different than qvar? the doctor put me on qvar after i told him the advair made me worse and the qvar does nothing.
I take singular once a day and it has helped tremendously with my asthma, cut my attacks by nearly a third. I've been doing great on singular, can't sing its praises enough!!! My brother was on symbicort, but it didn't work well for him. We saw no results after two months so we switched his meds and he's been doing absolutely amazing on singular.

P.S. After nearly a month of being on advair I had one of the worst attacks of my life. I ended up in the Emergency Room. The ER doctor cringed when I told him I was on advair.. He suggested I talk to my doctor and get switched to something else immediately.  Stay away from advair if you can!