Asthma Community
asthma, allergies

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

asthma, allergies

I have allergies to dust, pet dander, mold, and a bunch of other things.  Right now I am suffering at night I either have a cold or I am having an allergy attack.  I am seeing a pulmonary doc but, I am between apointments and I have no idea what to do about the symptoms I am having.  I have a runny nose and sinus pressure.  I am nervous because last time I had these symptoms I ended up in the ER with an asthma attack.  This time I would like to try and prevent this from happening.  I also have a hiatal hernia and antihistamines of all kinds make my stomach really upset.  What can I take at night?  I have been taking 1 60mg of Allegra during the day and today I took Sudafed.  Tonight however, I don't know if I should take Benydry so I can sleep because I heard that it can be bad for people with asthma.  Just a little while ago I took some Afrin nasal spray but, that does not help with the allergy situation.  Please help I need to sleep!

Have you put allergy proof covers on your mattress and pillows.  That really can help control symptoms.  Taking a shower before bed is also very helpful.  Another thing, althoung it can be harder to do, is to keep all pets out of your bedroom.  

Taking benadryl is fine.  I would recommend a liquid kind.  They work more quickly.  I use a liquid capsule as they are portable for break through symptoms.  You could also use Zyrtec if you prefer that.  Again, choose and liquid variety.  The benadryl would also have the added effect of a sleep aid though.

It sounds like your allergies maybe pretty severe.  Has your pulmo suggested seeing an allergist for testing and allergy shots?  

With your hiatal hernia do you experience acid reflux?  Acid reflux can also cause the symptoms you describe. You may want to try some OTC reflux meds like Prilosec or Zantec.   Just a thought.

Take care and feel better.
Have a blessed day.
Merry Christmas
I am talking to my allergist about allergy shots.  I am hesitant to take them because I had a reaction to the testing and ended up in the ER.  I am on Prilosec 40mg once a day.  I will try the liquid benadry.  I definitely do not let my dog in the same room with me anymore. I pretty much live on the couch right now because of my hiatal hernia and whatever else is bugging me at night.  The couch is leather so it get wiped down regularly.  We are going to get a new furnace and all the vents cleaned soon maybe that will help.  I am hoping to get a good plan put together soon.  Thanks for your response:)

Merry Christmas to you too
Do this pranayam for 30 minutes twice a day, and it will help your allergy and give you better sleep. Let me know how you feel after 9 days.
Build up your timing gradually.If you feel tired or dizzy, stop and resume after one minute.
Anulom Vilom pranayam –
Close your right nostril with thumb and deep breath-in through left nostril  
then – close left nostril with two fingers and breath-out through right nostril  
then -keeping the left nostril closed  deep breath-in through right nostril
then - close your right nostril with thumb and breath-out through left nostril.
This is one cycle of anulom vilom.
Repeat this cycle for 15 to 30  minutes twice a day.
Children under 15 years – do 5 to 10 minutes twice a day.
You can do this before breakfast/lunch/dinner or before bedtime or in bed.Remember to take deep long breaths into the lungs.You can do this while sitting on floor or chair or lying in bed.
Hello again,

What treatments are you on for you hiatel hernia?  That can cause acid reflux which can cause all sorts of respiratory issues.  You may need prescription strength reflux meds and possibly layer different types.  Are you following life style changes like not eating or drinking anything 3 hours priot to trying to sleep and avoidance of trigger foods?

I had to have emergency treatment after my last allergy testing as well.  Their office is well able to take care of it though, so no ER trip.  I had my Xolair shot after the test, so I had to hang around the office for a while.  That was a good thing because I was feeling pretty rotten.  There is a pretty big difference between testing and getting your shots.  For testing you have to be off all antihistamines for several days making you more susceptible to a reaction.  You can take antihistamines before a shot,  My doctor will not allow people to get their shots without an antihistamine.  Benadryl is not acceptable as it is too week to really counter the effects of the shot.  It makes a big difference on the reaction.

I hope you can see your doctor soon.  Keep calling to see if there is a cancelation.
Most often people who suffer from a hiatal hernia or other digestive, stomach problems take antacids, such as prilocec, nexium, etc... I have never had asthma in my life until a gradual onset of my symptoms began in June 2010. With extreme fatigue, and an host of other problems unrelated to astthma.  But then the shortness of breath began and it was excruciating to breath.  I went to several doctors and did have one tell me I had asthma and copd~ however, my b12 was low as well as my vitamin D.  Both of these deficiencies as well as others can cause symptoms of asthma and other ailments~ good luck
Try to get your mattress cleaned and sanitised by professional company, that can help to control your allergy symtons.