Asthma Community
asthma and beta blockers

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

asthma and beta blockers

Can someone who has asthma, panic disorder and tachycardia take a low dose beta blocker since i heard beta blockers are the best for tachycardia?  i do know that beta blockers are not for people with asthma, but i thought if anyone knows if i could take a low dose beta blocker for my anxiety and tachycardia and this low dose beta blocker would not affect my asthma too much.  Currently, i am taking 2 mg. zoloft along with 1 mg. clonazepam up to 3 times a day as prescribed by my dr.

These used to keep my heart rate down to below 100, but now they are not working as good.  i get excessive heartbeats up to 130 plus, but at least these medicines are keeping me more calmer so that i do not get panic disorder as much and make my heartrate go up any higher.  i have had episodes of heart rate 180 before i was taking the above medicine.

Thank you.
yolie 1313
Unfortunately, there really is no easy answer to your question.  There are some asthmatics that are able to tolerate beta blockers, while there are others that are not.  I am a severe-persistent asthmatic, and I take a cardio-selective beta blocker called Toprol XL.  Though I was not able to tolerate another cardio-selective beta blocker called Atenolol.  Other asthma patients may have similar, or opposite experiences.  Still others may have no negative responses at all to beta blockers, or be entirely intolerant of them.  It really depends on the patient.

If you do need a beta blocker to control your tachycardia, I'd recommend asking about a cardio-selective beta blocker.  These are somewhat less likely to trigger asthma symptoms.  Also, you may want to set up an appointment with your Pulmonary Specialist to be certain he/she is happy with the level of control you have over your asthma symptoms.
Hi there
I have asthma, tachycardia (SVT) and take beta blockers. I have tried different beta blockers and i find bisoprolol is the best for asthmatics :) It takes a week for your lungs to adjust to the beta blocker but then you should be fine.
Also atenalol is not too bad either but bisoprolol is the best for asthma sufferers
It is a fact that beta blockers can cause Asthma and not aggravating an existing condition that was there all the while. The side FX of beta blockers is Asthma.
I have been taking Propranolol hcr ER 120mg ( or equilivent ) for decades and 10 years ago it brought on my asthma symptoms. And quite by accident I found a cure for my beta blocker problem that same month. I since found that it cures and prevents all forms of Asthma and most forms of broncial disorders including COPD.
Yeh, It's me again........bill103
Opps, I forgot to mention what the cure was.........OCTACOSANOL of course.

bill103