asthma and steam inhale

My mother has asthma and is about 80 years old. I would like to know if using steam inhaler is good for her asthma or not ?

She used to take it. But recently, when she went to see a doctor, the practitioner suggested her not to take steam, placing us in confusion.

Does steam inhaling make asthma worse or does it help ? Your feedback will be highly appreciated.

There may be a "missing piece" to this story.  You might want to contact the physician and ask him/her the reason. Generally a steam inhaler, using sterilized water is helpful with no contraindications. For some patients there is psychological relief. Some so-called "steam" inhalers use lower-temperature water and an ultrasonic oscillator to produce the mist. In this case bacteria can be aerosolized. It is possible to "overuse" these inhalers and develop fluid in the lungs, which is undesireable. If the water is sterilized, and it makes her feel better, and there is no evidence of infection or fluid acumulation in the lungs, there should be no reason not to use one.