Asthma Community
asthma meds Symicort

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

asthma meds Symicort

I have been on symbicort 160/4.5  for about 7 weeks. Into the second week my voice began getting hoarse. 5 weeks later, I still sound like a squeaky frog, but my throat isn't sore. The Dr. said this is a termporary side effect and that I should continue with the medicine. Can you tell me how  long temporary should be? I was switched from Advair to Symbicort for this same reason.
Tags: Asthma
I"ve been using Symbicort 200 for years and now am taking it at the 400 level for the past half year, and I've always found that talking too much causes my voice to get hoarse. This is due to some of the steroid landing on your larynx and causing some weakening/relaxation to the chords. To help this you should really make sure that you gargle well after each inhalation. I find that since being on the stronger dose I experience more throat soreness, and have been more diligent to really make sure I gargle with water after each dose.

I know that in the States you use a lot more of the aerosol type inhalers rather then the dry powder inhalers. Which inhaler type are you using? If it's the aerosol type, you should try an inhaler spacer with it. This will help substantially reduce the deposition onto your throat area. If it's the dry powder one, then I don't know what else to suggest except to rinse well.

Just keep working with your doctor to find the right inhaler that works for you.