breathing difficulty while running
I have been a moderate runner (usually 2-3 miles about 3 times a week) for several years now. I frequently experience difficulty breathing when I run, in the form of chest tightness and mild wheezing that persists for 30 minutes or more after exercise. This occurs both indoors and outdoors, in warm and cold weather, and whether I've run the day before or not run for a week or more (although I have figured out that I'm more susceptible to breathing problems when it's cold, and when I have NOT run the day prior).

There's a lot of inconsistency - sometimes I run quite easily with no problems breathing whatsoever, and sometimes it feels as though my lungs still aren't warmed up after 30 minutes! Occasionally I can "force" myself to stay it out, try to yawn as I run, and keep going, but sometimes I just can't.

Is this asthma? What can I do?
It could be what is called exercise induced asthma...when people exercise, they are breathing in cooler air (they breathe through the mouth, so the natural warming of the air is bypassed) which in turn can cause bronchospasm. I would talk to your doc about it, if he or she agrees with exerecise induced asthma as being the culprit, then premedication might be ordered, such as taking a quick acting bronchodilator (Ventolin is an example). Sunny
I also have breathing problems, diagnosed with asthma, and taking meds,so I have a 15 min warm up and really helps. once I begin my 3-5 mile run I'm fine and rarely not finish my runs, just warm up and become aerobic and run. good luck