Asthma Expert Forum
coughing after talking

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

coughing after talking

hi,

ive recently discovered from an allergist that i have severe airborne allergies. Now, Ive never had breathing problems really and this has kind of started a breathing problem for me. I have been to a pulmonary dr., and the results were inconclusive as far as if i have asthma because i dont have any wheezing (my first time taking a pft the results were pretty mediocre) Im still thinking I have a little component of something (reactive to maybe the allergies) and would like some insight from you.

Im experiencing a hard time breathing pretty much when I talk and when I exercise. When I talk I cant help to cough after only speaking a 5 word sentence. My chest gets tight and the middle of my abdomen gets sore and tight as well as the right side of my chest.

Could allergies and problems with sinusitis give someone asthma whos never had it? Ive never had asthma before and never knew i had allergies till now. Thanks for any info.
You don't state your age, but in general, one should be dubious about the diagnosis of asthma, for the first time, in someone age 40 or older.  Not everything that wheezes is asthma and not all people with asthma wheeze.  Asthma can present as cough only as the major symptom.  You may be truly allergic but that may or may not have something to do with your shortness of breath.

We are unclear about what is meant by, "PFT the results were pretty mediocre".  If the results are definitely abnormal, that should give your doctors a clue as to what is going on.  For the moment, you should request that your doctor treat you for asthma and/or that your doctor should put allergies aside and evaluate you for other causes of shortness of breath, including pulmonary emboli, which are clots to the lungs.

Good luck.