Asthma Community
do i need an inhaler?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

do i need an inhaler?

hi, i am not asthmatic in your everyday meaning of the word. its just when i do any medium excercising, i run out of breath (deep continuous fast breathing). i bike 1.7 miles everyday to work at a brisk pace. and that leaves me breathing hard. so i am asking do i need an inhaler? any breathing excercises that will improve my condition.
i always detested the idea of an asthalin inhaler, because i have heard it makes you dependant on them.
is this right? can i just take an inhaler before i do sports and not use them on holidays?
and if so, do i need a prescription to buy it? Thanks for your much appreciated help.
Tags: Asthma, inhaler, dependance
You would need a prescription for an inhaler.
So you have been diagnosed with asthma?
If you need one then you should get one and carry it with you.
My little 8 year old nephew has asthma and is not dependent on his. He only uses it when he needs it. Take care. Remar
Excerise induced asthmatics only need to use the resuce inhaler (normally albuterol) 20 minutes before any excerise that triggers it.   Any inhaler is a prescription drug, which is good because you need to be diagnosed to make sure it is asthma that is the cause of your symptoms and not something else.  

Used properly, you will not become dependant on the medication.
i was diagnosed with asthma when i was 13 but they were seasonal back then. about 2 years ago, all sorts of symptoms disappeared apart from the excercise induced symptoms which arent noticeable. so i guess i need to see a doctor!
HI, you've gotten some great advice!  WELCOME to our Community!

C~