Asthma Community
elliots asthma powder 1940's

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

elliots asthma powder 1940's

Has anyone info on "Elliots"s Asthma Powder" 1940"s(Elliot's and Australian Drug Co)
I used it as a kid. It was put on a metal lid and burnt, and you inhaled the smoke to ease the asthma. I guess it was used several times a year for quite a few years in 1930- perhaps 1950.
I am now 82, and keep being asked by doctors, did you ever smoke? ever been in a smoke environment? to which I always reply NO.
I am now wondering whether inhaling the smoke from Elliot's Asthma Powder, is really the equivalent to smoking for quite a few years, but only occasionally? Would appreciate an answer, Thanks
I think you may be right. May asthma powders contained the leaves of some plant from teh Solanaceae family and had potassium nitrate added to increase combustion. This is not that different from cigarettes.
By the way , Elliot's and Australian Drug Co. became Drug Houses of Australia.
Good luck
Actually, many asthma remedies contained marijuana.
Avatar n tn
I used to use elliots asthma powder a lot when I was a kid. When it went of the market, my father found 2 tins of Monroes aathma powder which are both still half full of powder and beleive it or not still burns.The ingredients on the tin says; Stramon35.0  Lobel15.0  Thea25.0 Pot Nitrate 25.0    Ol. aromatic  q.s ....
Avatar n tn
Back in the early '60s when I was 4 & 5, I had to breathe in the smoke of some kind of powder burned on the lid of the can whenever I had an asthma attack. Because of the psychological effects caused by the extreme displeasure of smoking the stuff, I never was even tempted to smoke! But was that powder called/ Was it Elliot's powder?
Avatar n tn
I am trying to find the correct name of an asthma drug (pill)  used in the 1940's, that was possibly called TEDROL?
Any suggestions?
Yes, Have used both burning powder and then later, Elliott's Asthma Cigarettes.. Spewing they went off the market.. They really helped. More so than any drug I've found these days.  
You guys should check out the Inhalatorium.com
I think the powder you're referring to was POTTER'S ASTHMA REMEDY.  When I was a kid back in the 1940's my doctor recommended using this stuff for asthmatic relief.  I clearly remember the can as being rectangular and green with black script.  The powder which was mustard coloured was poured into the lid of the canister and lit with a match.  It gave of a thick white smoke and I had to inhale this somke from under a blanket or bath towel. My grandfather also used it. I never liked the stuff but, it did seem to work.  
Tedral was available in the USA until the 1960s.  It was a combination of Theophylline, Ephedrine and Phenobarbital