Asthma Community
having trouble breathing all the way in or out.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

Every once in a while I have had trouble breathing all the way in and out. It has happened about 10 times in my lifetime, usually for about 15 mins- 30 mins. It feels like a muscle is caught on one of my ribs, and is being stretched or pulled when I try to breathe deeply in and out, usually in the same general place as my heart and painfully restricts my breathing to the middle 60%. This morning I woke up with this happening again and it has been going on for about 3 1/2 hours. I have asthma but haven't needed to use an inhaler for 4 or 5 years so i dont think it is related.  Please if you have any clue of why this is happening or even just how to stop it please answer.
Goodness gracious. It sounds like a pleuritic problem. There are sliding surfaces...I guess skin-like would be the appropriate word...surrounding the lungs, When they become inflamed, this sort of thing happens. They don't slide properly against one another.

Usually it goes away. That is, the condition is self-limiting.

Ibuprufin, twice a day, 400 my each time, with food, for four days is a common prescription.

You bring to mind the fact I had these episodes decade ago as a teenager, exactly as you describe, and then...they went away, to return a half dozen other times now and again.

One school of thought suggests a viral infection. Of course there is a million-to-one shot you have a tumor or something really bad. It certainly isn't heart-related.

I am sticking my neck out, but I would not be overly concerned (and I am the first one to hit the panic button) unless they persist, in which case a visit to a pulmonary specialist would be in order.
If this condition becomes chronic, and persists after several days, a diagnosis of pleurisy must be ruled out. Viral infections are the most common cause, but there are other possible causes, including mtb and other bacterial infections.

This can be a very painful condition.

Since the most common cause is viral, there is little to do except help the immune system (by exposure to sunlight, vitamin c, and perhaps a vitamin supplement), assist breathing (if necessary) and wait for developments. Sometimes the pain is in the form of a "stitch". Other times it may be extreme and there may be a fast heart rate.

I don't want to ever truly discourage going to an ER (it may sem I was doing so, on reflection) , but a single episode or two usually resolves of its own accord.

If the cause is bacterial antibiotics are indicated.

If it continues a physican usually orders a CBC, full panel bloodwork, mtb test, and perhaps a thorocentesis, an ultrasound and an x-ray.

Now Ibuprufin can be a very dangerous drug, and is contraindicated during pregnancy.

Originally this was a prescription drug.

When it was released for sale in drug stores without a prescription the dose was lowered to 200 mg a pill. The prescription pills are 400 mg.

You should use as little of this drug as possible and review the internet for side effects and contraindications.