is it really asthma?
My 8 year old has suffered from a chronic, seasonal cough for as long as I can remember.  It's always during cold and flu season (which is most of the year in the midwest).  It oftens begins with a cold and then a cough lingers for 1-2 months.  The last bout wasn't linked to a noticable cold, which threw me off a bit.  

He's seen an ashthma and allergy specialist who diagnosed it as a mild form of asthma.  But, we followed her treatment of Qvar and albuterol inhalers, oral steroid and even zithromax (because 3-4 weeks in it turned into bronchitis) and none of that helped the cough.  In other words, the albuterol doesn't seem to do anything positive for him.  

Is this really asthma?  His coughs do have a tendency of turning into bronchitis.  They always have to get really bad before they get better.  Considering this last for a month or two, it is very rough for everyone.  He cannot so much as walk up a flight of stairs without having a coughing fit when the cough is bad.  It just doesn't seem right, and it's very hard to keep a young boy from physical activity for several weeks.  

Any feedback would be much appreciated.  I don't feel like the real problem has been pinpointed here.  I should add that he is horrible at blowing his nose.  And when he does run around and have a coughing fit, it usually ends up in him vomiting mucous.  (I think he is coughing up the mucous and then gags and vomits due to gag reflex).  Please help!
He might have whooping cough , you should see if you could get something to see if that would help. I have chronic asthma and i can't laugh hard with out almost having severe asthma attacks , daily i use my inhaler 2 breathing treatments a day and Qvar in the morning and night.  I have a nasty dry cough because of it  , but after taking the medicines i take everyday my cough isn't as bad. Somedays i don't cough and some days its really bad. But if those meds aren't working, check for whooping cough or have the child checked for something more serious .
I have a friend who was diagnosed with Chronic Bronchitis. She would always have coughing fits and quite often be diagnosed with bronchitis.. again. This is just an idea.. I hope it was some help.
Thank you both for responding!  I think chronic bronchitis is more likely than whooping cough since he has been vaccinated for whooping cough and I believe those symptoms would be a bit different than his.  I will do a bit of research on chronic bronchitis.  This makes more sense to me than asthma, but I would like to understand exactly what the difference between the two is.  I'm off to google "chronic bronchitis"...

Another idea is to go see a pedi pulmonologist.  They are terrific and oftentimes able to discern one condition from another or overlaps.

C~
I sent you a message.

achiles2