Asthma Community
itchy feeling and cough???

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

itchy feeling and cough???

hi, i am a 16 yr old female and i swim for half the year and play water polo for half the year so im it relativly good shape...my asthma usually flairs up around once every two weeks during practice but its usually only bad once a year. i take albuturol (i cant sp it) and it usually goes away...

well lately i have been waking up with a mild cough and almost like an itchy feeling inside my chest (it feels like its on my lungs) about once a month. it doesnt go away unless i take a couple puffs of my inhaler...but when i do it will go away in about 10 minutes...

so i was wondering if anybody gets this or knows why i would wake up with my asthma bothering me(yes it has woken me up but it didnt before this started)

thanks
jess
I was relieved to find someone else saying that they felt their lungs were itchy.  When I look on the web there's a lot of itchy throats but I wanted to find itchy lungs.  I think my problem may be to do with dust and cats.  My cats come into my bedroom and I can sometimes see the dust motes in the air.  I'm going to start a better regime of clearing dust because in the long term my lungs could suffer.  Make sure where you sleep is as dust free as possible, this may help.  
i dont think its allergies, i am pretty allergic to cats and dogs (tho dogs r not nearly as bad) and my dad has a dog but she is not allowed upstairs in the bedrooms, and im only with him every other weekend and i get this feeling at my moms too where we dont have any pets...
tho it may be dust...

thanks for ur input!
i have asthma as well myself. i dont get itchy lungs, i get itchy throat. well the only thing that helps me deal with the asthma is advair 250/250. when i feel an attack comeing on i just take it easy and stay home and rest up. i also take advil or tylenol for a headache that will come shortly after an attack. the only things i know im allergic to is dust of any kind, like saw dust and the normal dust. i am also allergic to black mold. black mold is the number one killer of all molds so watch for it in your homes especially in basements. cigarette smoke is the other thing that makes me wheeze. the only way that bothers me if im standing next to a smoker. i dont smoke but i work in a smokeing enviroment so therefore smoke is somewhat a bother to me at work but the dust is worst. but when i take my advair on a daily basis i feel pretty good 50 percent of the time. the other thing i forgot to mention that also bothers me is a cats poop box. the dust from clean litter or the urine smell is horrifying. even human urine makes me wheeze when my 13 year old daughter wets the bed due to being lazy to get up and use the bathroom at night. so you guys are not alone who have issues with the lungs. just take care and get on different medication if needed if yours dont work no more like mine did. i was once on albuterol and my lungs got immune to it and wouldnt work no more. so thats why im on advair and it works wonderful.
Advair is not the same sort of drug as Albuterol is.

Advair is ipratroprium bromide, a drug that works on suppressing the parasympathic system.
It is a maintenance drug and not a 'rescue' drug like Albuterol is.

Albuterol is a fast acting drug that smooths the muscle lining your airways dilating it and allowing you to take in more air.  

The drugs are very typically used in conjunction with each other not one or the other.  You should never get rid of your Albuterol rescue inhaler as advair WILL NOT stop a asthma flareup.
My respirologist has said that "itchy" lungs is a definate asthma symptom!!!! No ifs ands or butts.
Hope that helps, I get itchy lungs quite often. I also was told that itching in the lungs is a sign of toxins..from Natural Doctors.
Take care...get better!!
:D
Omgosh I'm so glad to find something on itchy lungs, i just got this virus bug and i'm not sure what it is, my throat is no lnger sore but i still have congestion and a lil in my lungs and when i cough they itch... i was hoping to find out about it but there is nothing about it
Wow, can't believe there are others that get the itchy lung sensation! How would you guys describe it?

for me i get a deep itchyy feeling in my upper back and sometimes at the front. first it feels like its on the skin but when i try to scratch its deep inside somewhere! for me it usually happens when i have a cold or flu and when i sneeze loads or cough loads.
ADVAIR IS NOT IPRATROPIUM BROMIDE! ATROVENT IS IPRATROPIUM BROMIDE and is used in conjunction with Albuterol as a fast acting bronchial dilator. The combined doses are known as duoneb.
ADVAIR is the maintenance drug Fluticasone Propionate and Salmeterol which comes in 3 different doses of 150/50, 250/50 and 500/50. This medication is a powder inhaler and is used twice a day as a long term medication to reduce inflammation of the lungs.
I too experience this itching sensation in conjunction with getting a cold. If i wake up and feel it, I know that as the day progresses other cold symptoms will follow. What is the cause for this itchy feeling? I do not have asthma or any other ailments.
Listen the itchy feeling you are experiencing is most likley a form of accute bronchitis.

What is happening is something is irritating your bronchial tubes, this is most commonly seen in smoker's as they are always inhaling toxins, which eventually will affect your lungs and the tubes connecting to your lungs.

Other things such as dust, mold, etc almost anything that can be inhaled and your lungs dont like it, it will become irritated and itch, sometimes causing a cough.

In MOST cases if you take a really deep breathe and you feel a itching or burning sensation above ur lungs or near ur lungs connecting to your throat, chances are its a form of bronchitis.

There are many forms of bronchitis depending on how sevre the problem is.

If it dosen't go away. Go see a doctor.
Wow!  Itchy lungs...I have them and have had them since I was diagnosed with pneumonia last Tuesday!  It's now been 10 days since it all started!  My clue that I need to use my inhaler is that my upper back itches.  I've talked to a nurse about this and she said that it made sense because the lungs are back there, they are irritated and I'm just aware of it!  It goes away once I've used my inhaler...but this time with the pneumonia....this is a whole other thing entirely...I woke up last Monday with a very strange feeling in my lungs...4 years ago I had empyma and ended up with lung surgery on my left lungh...it was awful...and by the way, I was diagnosed with asthma when I was one.  Anyway, this feeling in my lungs was different than the one in my back...I immediately used my inhaler to see if that would help, but it didn't...then when I tell the respitory therapist at the hospital that my lungs were itchy...she thought I was nuts.  Of course telling me she had never heard of that before.  Then yesterday at work...I couldn't tolerate the feeling anymore.  It feels like I'd like to remove my lungs from my chest and use my nails to scratch them...I know it's my lungs because after having the lung surgery I can feel my left lung at all times.  It's a very strange sensation.

So, today I went to the dr for a follow up and we decided to put me on a steroid inhaler at night for 2 weeks to see if that will help with the itchiness.  I can't stand it and it's driving me absolutely nuts!!!  I'm so glad to know there are others that have Itchy lungs....by the way, I don't smoke, I do have 2 cats, but they don't make me sneeze and I bathe them all the time :)
I also have the Itchy feeling in my chest, Ive never been diagnosed with asthma, or anything simaller.

I do how ever smoke ciggies/weed, And have a cat that lives in the house.

I seem to KEEP getting sick at the moment, Maybe my immune system is down, due to me losing weight(21kilos alone in the past 3 months) and not eating alot???

I seem to get "better" for a bit, then I will get a sore throat or a cough and it all comes rushing back!

Im sure my best bet is go to the doctors,(wich I will next week) Its just driving me crazy.

Im thinking that I really should be giving up smoking all together (both)

To everyone:

Yup....I am feeling you all....itchy lungs....how freakin' wonderful is this?   Most uncomfortable feeling I have ever experienced.  You do, you feel like you just want to take a metal hanger to your lungs they itch so bad!!!  Well, like most of you, I also got really sick, and have been having problems ever since.  I am seeing an allergist today and a pulmonologist in December.  I can't wait to find out what this is.  Most likely asthma, induced by pollutants and such.  I do have it undercontrol now.  I am off the Advair!!!!  I have replace it with Mullein herb caplets.  I love it.  I feel much better since I have been taking this and mucenex.  The expectorants help me a lot more although I always carry my emergency inhaler where ever I go.  I hope that we all getting to feeling better........it really ***** to feel ill, you know?!  
Everyone feel better soon :)
I have itchy lungs as well which started about four weeks after contracting H1N1 virus.  I am also producing excess mucus which is hard to get up.  I called my Doctor and he prescribed Advair. I am afraid to take it due to some of the listed side effects.  Has anybody any opinion on Advair and does it relieve itchy lungs and slow down mucus production?
Advair 500 is associated with some side effects when taken on a long term basis. Lower doses of it however pose absolutely no problems. Just remember to rinse your mouth out after each inhalation (for thrush), as some people are sensitive that way.

Your doctor has probably prescribed this for the short term till your symptoms clear up. The H1N1 virus is rather nasty and tends to go deep into the lungs causing a lot of disruption to the airways, so it is probably a good idea to assist your lungs in healing up, which may take a number of weeks.

You don't mention if you have asthma? If you don't then once you're better you won't have to continue taking the inhaler. If you do have asthma you should follow up with your doctor to ensure you have good control of it.
I have had asthma all my life. But just recently, in the last 2 months have begun experiencing this CRAZY itching in my back and....my jaw bone!!! Tonight, I felt it in my chest and my left shoulder as well. I was coughing uncontrollably and my chest was tightening. I used my emergency inhaler, and voila'...its subsided. I had NO idea that asthma and this deep itchy feeling was related until I just went looking. Thanks guys!!
I too get an itchy feeling in my lungs, when i tell people they look puzzled. When this happens it precipitates a viral infection in my lungs, I've had adult onset asthma for 2 years
Interesting to read all these comments!
I got a really bad cold in mid-February, which included a lower respiratory infection (which I don't recall ever having before.) I was prescribed an Azithromycin antibiotic, Robitussin with Codeine and Albuterol inhaler. I've long since been off those and still to this day (2 months later), my lungs still feel slightly tight and itchy. I can take a deep breath okay, but it's a strange feeling, especially since I've never had this before. I do have allergies, but they've always only affected my sinuses (I use Neti Pot and take Claritin on occasion.) I also have 2 dogs and live in NY. Non-smoker. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I'm assuming the itching is from something irritating the thin fluid lining on the outside of your lungs. The surfaces rub together when you breathe and if something is irritating it (an infection or inflammation from asthma) it can cause an itching sensation. Just my theory.
Also I agree with the bronchitis answer. Although I'm in denial that its what I have!
Hi i have asthma too. i always start wheezing this season. especially this spring i have to use my inhaler 2-3 times at 3-4 times during the day (whenever i start wheezing). it is really annoying and when i use the inhaler the wheezing still doesn't go away. this never happens in other seasons (or in any other years before). i only had to use my inhaler when it was dusty. i think you probably get allergic reactions from dust causing you to have asthmatic symptoms. i get a really itchy chin, skin, head, face, sneeze a lot, itchy/watery eyes, and heavy wheezing when it is dusty. i don't really know what to tell you because i don't take any meds to get rid of the allergies. i just use my inhaler and sometimes it works. if you find any good meds for it tell me. :)
Wow! I thought I was crazy hypochondriac or something. My lungs itch after I have had a cold then it is down deep on my right lung and onlywhen I cough hard or take a deep breath. No asthma no allergies no pets.Glad to know I am not alone
Thank you everyone!  Finally I see something about the itching sensation in lungs.  I have it on occasion.  I have a had a cold or something for the past few days.  Bronchitis seems to make sense.  Thanks folks!!
been about 4 or 5 days now and i have had what i would call a wracking cough that is not so bad during the day but has been horrible at night. After coughing i get that that itchy feeling in my chest. though its always front not the back and my instincts are to scratch it and when i do it feels like it burrows away from my hand and it *****. cause i gotta wait for the itch to go away. bronchitis would explain it. i smoke but i never ran into this before.i had slight asthma as a child had to go in to the doctors and hooked up to a breathing machine with these ribbed blue tubes. i was just worried it might have been making another appearance. bronchitis would make me feel better even as bad as it is itself.
Yay im not alone, i thought i was going crazy... ''an itching sensation in ur lungs'' does sound crazy.... i didnt even know how to describe it!
my conclusions are that its allergens cuz my house is filty -_____-
i have carpets and dust everywhere and im very allergic to dust...
another thing is the itching sensation makes me want to cough more O.o its hard to stop
I have itchy lung, too, but I have not been sick with a cold or bronchitis! I do have post nasal drip, which may be the problem, as in the night, I might be inhaling the 'drip'.. yuck. The fluid I cough up is clear and thin, and feels so much better when the cought is productive, but usually it's not and then it starts in my throat. SOMEBODY SHOOT ME!  This itchy lung is getting worse. I wake up in the middle of the night with a dry cough from it..but then it progresses to constant coughing. Today was the worst - I have coughed harder than when I had bronchitis over 6 yrs ago. This is driving me crazy! I will not go to the doctor, so I am going to ask the pharmacist about it. Maybe musenex or something will help.
There are many triggers that stimulate asthma attacks.  Dust mites in our beds, animal dander, change in weather, exercise, smoke or other chemicals in the environment.  Albuterol is nice to have for rescue breathing during an acute asthma episode.  However, the National guidelines encourage a controlling medication as inhaled steriod and or leukotriene modifier.  Talk to your family Doctor about starting a controlled medicine.
Hey, since last year when the whole itchy lung thing set in....I still once in a while get the itch back in my lungs.  It really is nerve racking.  But, mucinex really helps and so does mullenin and nettle.  I usually get the onset when there is irritants in the air, change in wheather, or if I am getting sick....usually it is allergy related cause I have really bad allergies.  

I hope the itch relents.....
I am so happy to find other people with itchy lungs, I thought I was going mad.When i try to describe it to people they look at me strange,I get intense itchy feeling in my upper back and under arms  but the itch is inside, I say to people i want to put my hands in my lungs and scratch them!!! I have had nasal polyps removed before which are caused by allergies, so i am now thinking it is an allergy reaction!!!
Thank goodness i am not the only one with itchy lungs.  I have been to the doctor a hundred times.  They said i had bronchitis so they started me on avelox.  About two weeks later, i started having trouble breathing and started running a temperature.  I was hospitalized and found out i had pleursey.  They put me on a zpack for five days.  Two weeks later, my insides are itching like crazy! My itchies are coming from the front more than anywhere else!  I, too, feel like i could rip my lungs out to give them a good scratching.  I am puzzled and dont kno what to do now!
Has anyone really gotten a good answer to why the itchy lungs? I have it, too. Started 2 weeks ago. Got bit badly by my dog and got cellulitis with fever and flu-like symptoms. The itching and dry cough started then, and has continued ever since. Was put on Augmentin for the infection, but didn't help the lungs. Have a clear chest xray and docs can't hear anything in my lungs. They are scratching their heads: am now on another antibiotic (just in case!), albuterol inhaler, antihistimine, cough suppressant, etc. -- nothing helps! Am really feeling depressed and uncomfortable--miserable. Never a smoker, don't have asthma--what the heck is it? Never had it before. Going to make an appt with a pulmonologist.
Prescription.,

1.DEC i.e., Diethyl carbamazine (21 tablets) thrice daily(morning/noon/night)(after food){drug of choise for esinophilia}

2.Deriphyllin (7tablets) once daily...(every night)(after food)

3.Ciplox (14 tablets) twice daily...(morning/night) (after food)

4. Rantidine (14 tabs) twice daily...(morning/night) (after food)

-------this is for those who have itchy lungs..rather call it itchy feeling inside the lungs after coughing------
In broad we call this as eosinophilia...And is graded mild/moderate/severe according to your blood lab investigation...

Not to fear about it...this prescription ll definitely help patients with so called Itchy lungs...

By,
DOCTOR.
i also have been fine i do have astma it only flairs up first of spring well this year it was all different itchy felling in my chest cough and could not sleep at night it was worse then and in the morining i wake up with my chest so tight and real congested i went to the doctor it was my astma and allergies im already taken allergy drops so it took me by suprise im on symbicort and singulair and i was already using albertoil i cant spell it but any way i hope this helps someone
Thank you for your post, I too have itchy lungs I guess due to Asthma.  I have notice that if I take my inhaler before going into my gym pool it helps me out alot I use ambuterol.  The clorine in the pool especially if it's an indoor pool makes me wheeze, itchy lungs and dry cough.  Horrible.  As far as for the other posting I've read it helps I'm not alone and that I'm crazy for thinking I want to rip my lungs out because they itch, I don't smoke or have any pets....and I still have these flare ups.
I have a very bad chest cold at the moment and it feels like my left lunch has a bug bite. I'm going crazy with the feeling ...so glad I'm not alone
hey.. i have asthma too and i get an itchy throat... i use qvarr and albuterol every morning before school so i wont get asthma during pe..... also u said you do water polo i know this is off topic but im about to start when i go to highschool and do you have any tips for me? im a complete beginner... :) thx
tht isn't probably asthma.. just a cold/flu flare up in your sinus and it gave you a cough in your lungs... asthma is when your airways swell up and resrict minimal amounts of air into your lungs... it jsut makes you wheeze and feel tight in your chest.... hope tht makes you feel better :)
WELCOME to our Community!

C~
I'm so relieved to find this itchy lung thread and that I'm not the only one who has gotten strange looks when they tried to describe the feeling.  

My itches are mostly in the front, right under my lower ribs.  I've had an onset of it starting yesterday and I think it's associated with an oncoming cold though I've never drawn that connection before.  I've always just been befuddled by what the cause could be and only recently did I start thinking it might be connected to allergies.  This time is the first time it's been recurring and I'm worried it might be associated with a mold problem we just discovered in our house.  We're taking care of it as fast as we can and I don't know what else to do, I don't have anywhere to go until it's totally fixed.
Hi, so you're only 16 yrs old, I feel you should consult with your parent/s and have them take you to the doctor.  Anyone who would try to advise a minor child on health issue would be crazy.  You say you use an inhailer so you must have a reason for it, could it possibly be that you have asthma.  Sometimes when an asthma attach is about to start you may feel a sensation in your lungs, that may feel like an itch, per say.  Do not under any circumstances overuse your inhailer, go see a specialist about your breathing problem, and most importantly your parents have to know this so they can take you to see the specialist.  You're a child that can not be doing and deciding medical issued on your own, I'm sorry.
Hi, you sure have all the classic signs of asthma, but what surprises me is that your 13 year old still urinates in bed, this is a huge problem, it is not because she's lazy, she must have some bladder problem, or a phsycological problem.  A child this old should not do this in her sleep.  Please have her checked out, or perhaps she's a drug addict and looses control?  This is a big problem.  You as a monther must help this child take her to see a urologist, or even her pediatrician will do tests like urine annalysis and blood work to see what is going on with her.  You mention the stench ofcourse her matress must be soiled, and you are at fault.
I'm sorry for being so blunt, but you as her parent are responsible.
Hey I've had nasal congestion for like 3 weeks now. My doctor is telling me it's from the heat in my house. Then in the morning  for the last two weeks I felt and itchy feeling in my upper body. I goggled it and found all this info from this page and I'm going to ask my doctor about all the tings that they didn't even check for. I've had a runny nose for 3 weeks now and it is driving me crazy. I believe my runny nose has something to do with the lung problem. I love google sometime it'd better then going to the doctor.
I know this is a very old post but I had to find something to help me at 0300 with the exact same symptoms as you described. I brought in the 2012 new year in the hospital with pneumonia that almost killed me at 7 months pregnant. I was on 100% o2 and I was very afraid for me and my unborn son. Before I went to the hospital I was having the same symptoms I am having now except I didnt have a inhaler, my ears,nose and throat were itching and I was wheezing really bad. After I read your post I took both my inhalers and all the itching and coughing stopped instantly. I am able to catch my breath and lay down on my back and breathe with ease. I just want to say thank you for your post.
I get that deep itch any lungs sometimes when I wake up. I believe it is due to my gastric reflux and aspiration of the reflux during sleep. You might want to talk to your allergist, but taking a Mucinex often helps to loosen that deep thick mucus in the lung. It is not a pretty sight when you do finally cough it up, but you'll feel much better for it.
I am so grateful to find this thread.  I have had an itch under my right rib cage and I cannot scratch it because its too deep.  I feel like lifting up a couple ribs and giving it a good scratchin'.  Its been happening since I was 17, now I am 31 years old.  Now that I know that its my lung.  I recall this sensation started periodically right when I started to smoke at 17.  I dont think I have asyma and its too long to be a cold.  I'm going to try to seriously quit smoking and see if that makes a difference.  So glad I am not the only one!
After looking at various posts on the web, it looks to me that this is a nerve irritation. Some people get this if they are run down, overtired or have a condition that could give bodily weekness (for instance, asthma ). Getting enough sleep and good health management may make a difference. It is re-assuring to me - a fellow sufferer, that this condition seems nothing to be too concerned over.
Dec. 2013 I was given antibiotics for 10 days,  for bronchitis that started with laryngitis. It is now Feb. 5th. I have had a dry cough from the start (totally unproductive) with an itchy inner chest feeling. I have been experiencing  pressure in my chest on and off with this.  

I believe I am have the beginnings of rheumatoid arthritis with joint pain and swelling and various symptoms.  

Could there be any correlation?  Also, What should I do next? They didn't even listen to my chest when I went in for the bronchitis, they just assumed I had it from my symptoms. I thought that was strange.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I am in the process of exploring what it is as well - get itchy lungs every time i have a cold. Lungs are always clear and have no problem breathing, but I can't deal with this itchy sensation, a bit of burning and it's accompanied by a cough. I have had this happening to me for a number of years but it's escalating and has become unbearable. I'll let you know what diagnosis is going to be. I do not smoke, and am generally healthy... Perhaps, I am thinking, if I start to exercise it will relieve the symptoms, I really really really do not want to get in the habit of being dependent on drugs, inhalers etc... I'll keep everybody posted. Perhaps collectively we can arrive to some conclusions. Cheers.