Asthma Community
lung failure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

lung failure

I am a 26 year old female and the past 2 years I have been having breathing difficulty. I was seeing a pulmonologist briefly who diagnosed me with severe asthma and placed me on a maintenance regimen (symbacort and spiriva) and gave me a rescue inhaler. The maintenance drugs did not help and I was referred to a cardiologist with the theory that my SOB was caused by a heart condition. Thanks partially to the economy I do not have health insurance and have been attempting to treat myself for the past year and a half. I still have rescue inhalers and use them several times a week for SOB, mainly due to exertion. Recently I have been having more difficulty and the other night my lungs seized, as they do from time to time, but I was unable to sit up or hit myself which are my two typical courses of action to restart my lungs. My boyfriend happened to be in the bathroom at the time and came back to find me not breathing and was able to sit me up and hit my lungs to restart them. This was right after having sex. Is this normal with asthma? What can I do to prevent this in the future?
Tags: Asthma, Health, Heart, help, sex, breathing, Lung
That is defintely not normal with asthma unless it is during a very severe attack which needs immediate medical attention.  You need to see a doctor and gets things straightened out.