Asthma Community
more exercise to get rid of asthma?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

more exercise to get rid of asthma?

so my dad has informed me that exercising frequently, like doing the activities that set off my asthma, will make my asthma go away. like, basically, "trigger your asthma all the time, and then you will not be asthmatic anymore" it sounds like a load of bullcrap to me, but with how much my asthma holds me back, i'm anxious for any help. so, does anyone know if this advice is legitimate? cuz i'm getting really sick of being defective.  

i'm also interested in any other means of preventing my asthma symptoms, though medication is sort of a last resort option, since it's expensive, and half the time i cant even bring myself to ask my dad for lunch money.

thanks to anyone who answers.....
Tags: Asthma, help, Exercise
Yes and no.  More no than yes though.

Excercizing does improve lung function to some degree, but triggering asthma to get rid of it will never work.  The primary treatment for asthma is avoiding triggers.  Exercise is necessary for your generral health.  You may try pretreating your asthma to prevent attacks before axercise.  That is very effective.

I know medication can be expensive.  Talk with your parents and doctor about medication assistance programs from most name brand manufactures.   You can probably get your medication for free.  I get two of my medications that way.Doctors can also give you samples to that you can maintain your health.    Another options is discount programs you can access online.  

I hope that helps you some.

God bless.

Exercising is good but it's no use for asthma try meditation, yoga.
Exercising is different from yoga.
I know from experience that this is true well for me, when I was a kid I had horrible asthma to the point where if I even tried to run I felt that I couldn't breathe at all and depended on my inhaler. Now I am in the military and for the physical fitness test requires a 2 mile run and I usually do in under 13 min, that is a under a 6:30 min a mile pace. I could barely even make it a 1/4 mile as a kid. Now I do half marathons whenever I can. I am not saying try it but i stop being dependent on my inhaler at all around the age of 14 and just pushed myself everyday to be more physically fit. Do what works for you but I know I can say that medication was just a crutch that I eventually got rid of.
My 18 year old son wants to go to Annapolis and has been told that asthma is a medical disqualifier. How did you, with asthma get admitted into the military? I was excited to see your note.
Well you can exercise but not too much. IF you do it too often it well cause you something worst.
What do you mean in the beginning of your answer? 'I know from experience that this is true well for me.' The fact that he could get rid of asthma by triggering it more often? A very good friend of mine has asthma and she wants to join the military and she is also desperately trying to rid herself of it. Anyway, please respond because this may be the best way for her. Thanks.
ive had chronic asthma my whole life, and i do think your dad is right. When i started excercising   my asthma basically went away.the dancing  helped alot. its not going to go away right away it could take up to a year. I would not get on medication because it is actually addictive. I thought i was going to have to take asthma medication my whole life. Being more physical helped me so much. I went from having to take asthma medication twice a day to not having to be on medication period  i dont even have an emergency inhaler. I think its important to be able to control you asthma and know how to stay calm when you cant breath. I also do yoga which i would sometimes not even be able to breath during yoga, but i would be ok by the end of class. Learn how to breath through an asthma attack. Breathing out more then in.
Well, as far as i know, exercise will help your asthma, because it'll have you using your lungs and stuff, but doing it to trigger your asthma, will probably make it worse. I suggest you do lighter activity until you can manage it without getting an attack, and get further. a good thing to do is swimming, it helped me a lot with my own asthma, because you end up holding your breath a lot.
I believe the guideline for getting in the military with asthma is that you can't have used any medication (including rescue inhalers) for one year and you have to have normal lung function tests.

I wouldn't suggest hiding your asthma from the military, even if it went away in your childhood.  If they find out you have asthma, they'll give you medicine to treat it, but they won't be very nice about it.  You never know what type of climate you'll be in...dry, humid, rainy, high elevation, etc.  Some climates are harder to deal with than others.  Also, when you have to do things like run in full chemical gear, along with your other gear, it's very, very hard to breathe.  For the most part, you're a liability because you never know when your asthma is going to act up and you have to rely on daily medicine to treat it.  It's not good for you and it's not good for your unit.    
i've had asthma until about 13 or 14 but i want to join the military i run/exercise regularly i run a mile in under 7:00 mins and stopped using my asthma meds im now 16 and i experience no asthma ..what are my chances of joining the military?