Asthma Community
neck and chest pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

neck and chest pain

I had one of the oddest Asthma attacks last night. I've had asthma most of my life (35 of my 39 year life) but, I don't remember ever having one that came on so quick before and went away so quick before. I'm wandering if it was caused by a food allergy I didn't know I had as I can't think of anything else that could have triggered it.

Basically, I had a bowl of soup (from a tin) and a couple of cheese sandwiches for dinner then sat and watch tv.  Shortly after my asthma attack kicked in.  I had only a smidging of my ventolin inhaler left which didn't really do anything.  I think this time my attack got quite severe as I got quite bad chest pains as I struggled to breath. Eventually, it just started to clear and a couple of hours later I was fine. But, for the really bad chest and neck pains.  I couldn't sleep because they are so sore. But, I've took some pain killers and it isn't to bad now.  The odd thing though is that if I press the muscles in my neck I here a crackling sound. I don't know if it has happened as a result of this attack or if it's just normal but, I haven't noticed before.

I do have a food allergy to Brazil nuts but, I usually just get swellings in my mouth and throat with them. I did get any mouth or throat swellings. Just the asthma!! Has anybody had similar experiences or any advice?
Hi, best to ck. it out with your Dr and get a refill on your inhaler.  Sorrythis happened.  Food allergies can turn in any direction at any time.  Also, ask your doc, but be careful with the pain killers.  They cause decreased respiration I think,

Welcome!

C~
Hi ChitChatNine,
Thanks for the advice. I'm totally fine now. But, in all them years I've had asthma I've never had anything like that before.  I did have a cold come on the following day after my asthma attack so maybe this was the trigger.  I've stocked up on a new inhaler.
I have two food allergies that trigger asthma attacks as symptoms, so it's not unheard-of (if I have certain types of candy, I have a very nasty asthma attack - but no other allergic symptoms... it's actually this allergy that tipped my doctor off to the idea that my asthma is largely allergic).