Asthma Community
new to asthma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

new to asthma

ok am so new to this it has just floored me that i even have it ,

going to see a asthma dr monday to make sure its really what i have .

this is how it started am 49 years old had a cold in oct went to whezing in nov , still got it now and than'

so when you have asthma can you feel short of breath even with out the whezing and coughing?

i woke up felt little whez but it went away felt fine went outside raked leaves by time got inhouse was really whezing could not take deep breath and not breathing good, only took one shot of the inhaler it cleared in 10-15 mins. is this asthma

i worry it heart with short of breath when i have no whezing?  

what test can the asthma dr do so that they know its asthmas with out a dought ?

thank you for all your help.

It sounds very much like asthma.  You can be out of breath, wheezing or coughing alone or all at the same time.  Yours sounds like the cold air and leaves were also making it worse, so try to cover your nose and mouth with a scarf or something when you go out to help prevent symptoms.

Your doctor will do some tests and listen to confirm that diagnosis, or suggest something else if it turns out that you don't have asthma.

Good luck!
thank you for answering so fast. just still cant belive i got it now this late in life.  i worry because i feel like not short of breath but like mt windpipe gets coverd up for a min and i cant breath good , but not having other asthmas  like whez or cough. i guess the dr will beable to tell mondasy i hope so cant keep going on and not know.
guess it not to bad if i can use inhaler with one puff and it go away.

thank you again
I was just diagnosed with asthma at the age of 24. It does mean a bit of a lifestyle change, more cleaning, mite cover of bed extra nice filter in heater/ac...HEPA vacume. But once you get it in control it isn't all that bad. It will continue to surprise you at the most inopprotune times though. IE my asthma attack in church on christmas eve! It didn't resolve on its own so I had to go on steroids over the holidays!! But stay positive and know patience is key and a good doctor!

Tanja
thank you for all the help. am going to a asthma dr tomorrow to seewhats really going on with me. today i feel asthma in there not whez but just dont feel good , not really shoert of breath but feel like i cant breath now and than nothing bad , its getting my anxiety up because not sure which way to go with it. guess i see tomorrow , does yas chest hurt with it mine feels acky even though iam not coughing ?