Asthma Community
pneumonia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

pneumonia

5357185?1265693093
Hello I have a 7 year old whom since he was 2 weeks old was diagnosed with asthma and reflux he has been in and out of dr office alot has had pneumonia 4 times since winter of 09 till now we are currently trying to get into national jewish to get help but for now what can we do?
He has been on 2 rounds of steroids and 2 antibiotics as of 3 weeks ago and still can't blow a normal peak flow and stll complains he can't breathe also we have been told by an asthma specialist he is a silent case in other words he does not wheeze but he can be having trouble breathing and i carry him into er and they say his lungs sound fine but when they do a peak flow he is in the low yellow range and they can't tell me anything they just know then he is having trouble.can you help?
concerned
mom
I too have a silent chest, and don't wheeze till I've dropped nearly 50% of my peak flows. It is frustrating, because doctors listen to your chest and say "what's your problem? Sounds good to me". Definitely keep using your peak flow meter, as that will give you and his doctors a better indication of how well his lungs are doing.

To control his asthma better, his environment needs to be made more asthma friendly, by knowing what his allergies/triggers are. The bedroom is a very good place to start as that is where we spend more then 8 hours a day in, especially if he has dust mite allergies. Does he see a pulmonary specialist? The specialist can test for any underlying conditions that may be aggravating his asthma. Also he can then get the right asthma treatment in order to control his asthma symptoms.
Thanks and when he was about a year old he saw a pulmanologist but we do have to get him into another one and we did have allergy test done a little while back and his biggest things were weeds and tumbleweeds and we live in colorado so what do you do.
do you have a humidifier? I know those are good, dry air can aggravate asthma, if anyone in the house smokes (and you haven't already done this) make them smoke outside, this can also make things worse. do things that will build up his lung capacity (I don't actually know how much this will help), like singing, in addition to exercising.
but as the other reply was go to a specialist for more help.
well he has had a humidifier going on for ever and no one has ever smoked around my child at all so I know thats not the problem
Have a kinesiologist cure him of these allergies.