Asthma Community
smelling bleach...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

smelling bleach...

This may sound a bit odd, but for the past few days I have had the strangest issue. I have been smelling something that smells like bleach. I don't even use bleach in my house since both me and my son have asthma. Apparently, I am the only one smelling it, though. No one else has complained or said anything about any sort of odd smell. For me, it is such a sharp, strong smell that it actually burns my nose and throat! This is just so strange.Has anyone else had this issue?
I haven't had it (although I do smell bleach for 2 days after working because we use so much of it).

I think I say a post on the allergy forum about this (or respiralogy disorders) so maybe trying posting on those forums?

I get a very strong sensation of bleach odor (cleanser, like softscrub, turpentine, or even the old orange flavored "Aspergum") sometimes that will occur for extended periods (7 or more days).  It has come and gone now for over 8 years, initial onset after a severe sinusitis.  Now, the triggers for these episodes seems to be whenever I am fatigued by work, nearly to delerium, lots of close computer work, drinking too much coffee at work, and when my wife changes the "wax" in the "scentsy" melters at home.
I have rarely smelled the delicate "floral" scents of flowers or perfume since that initial sinusitis.  Had an MRI done of the brain and sinus--showed normal structure, except deviated sceptum.  Fact that it comes and goes portends that it is environmental or situational.

My theories, and after reading other forums:
1.  Viral infections, more likely to occur when fatigued and immune system suppressed, will make sinuses extremely sensitive to airborn molecules from perfumes, scent candles, plastics in computers and car interiors.  If the sinus passage is swollen to closure, those molecules that were near the olfactory sites may remain trapped there until the passages can reopen--thus prolonged sensation of same odor.
2.  Excessive coffee:  Who is cleaning the coffee caraffe and with what cleansers?  Is it possible, as at work, that these cleansers are not being rinsed away fully at cleaning by someone other than the person who makes the morning coffee?  Do you have a caffeine alergy (allergy) and it surfaces only when the blood levels of caffeine become too high?  I can stop coffee immediately when I become suspicious, but the odor remains, as if it is systemic and requires time to purge from my body.  Interestingly, decaffeinated coffee is sometimes decaffeinated using Formaldehyde (a known carcinogen) and it has a strong "biology class dissection" smell, since it is used to embalm specimens.
3.  Acid Reflux:  even without symptoms of indigestion and burning in the throat, it is said you could have the syndrome.  Acid can have a "chlorine" like smell.  Stomach acids contain "Hydrochloric" Acid, which chemically contains chlorine.  I recently noticed this increase in odor, burping, esophageal burning immediately after having intestinal virus and diahrea.
4.  Plasticizers:  Your car dashboard, computer, any plastic has certain chemicals to keep the plastics from cracking.  After entering a very hot car one afternoon, without venting the heat first, I contracted the chlorine odor syndrome that lasted again for another 7 days.
5.  Perfumes and waxes:  found in dryer sheets, scentsy candles, etc.  When the wax is heated and aerosolizes along with the perfume molecules, these wax molecules can be inhaled.  We know what happens when wax cools on contact--it hardens, and stays in place (perhaps in your sinuses), keeping the perfume molecules with it.  Your olfactory bulbs are likely to over-respond (mis-interpret) any other strong scent.  Certain ingredients added to odor reducing sprays are designed to actually anesthetize your olfactory centers to reduce sensation.
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!! OMG did you ever find out anything? this is driving me absolutely nuts. I taste , smell, inhale, bleach-ish fumes smells off and on now for about a month and a half. I was starting to think I had a bleach ghost for crying out loud!!!   I saw your post was in '11 and was wondering if anything ? how are you and did you find out anything?  

Any help would be greatly appreciated!    Thanks
                                                                    Bleachy- keen
I just started smelling bleach about 5 days ago.  I am also having more ashma than normal and something is going on up in the top of my nose.  Allergies are not so good right now.  Not a runny nose but stopped up all day even with my allergy meds.  Did you find out what was going on with you?