Asthma Expert Forum
sneezing

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

sneezing
I have asthma and allergies and the summer is always a joy for me with sneezing just about every day of it.
Question is what causes a body to sneeze? and why is it that i can go all day with out a nose that runs but as soon as i sneeze i have a nose that runs.  I have always wondered what causes a body to sneeze ?

Dan
The sneeze is an airway defense mechanism that removes irritants, allergens and excessive mucus, from the nasal epithelial surface.  It is generally benign.  Sneezing and a runny nose go together, the sneeze being a means for the body to expel the runny nose material.