Asthma Community
steriod

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

steriod

Is albuterol a steriod and can I gain weight from it? If so is there a better inhaler?

Thansk Lori
Albuterol is not a steroid and you will not gain weight from using it. There are various inhalers, however albuterol has a good safety record. Unfortunately, thanks to the montreal global warming protocol the FDA had withdrawn the most effective albuterol med from the market manufactured by Warrick because it's propellant gas was deemed a hazard.  Many pharmacies still have the old stuff in a long white tube. Stock up before the supply runs out.  The new edition does not force the medication deeply into the alveoli when you are having a bad attack.
Albuterol is a bronchodilator, not a steroid.  Short of an unusual allergic reaction, I seriously doubt this particular drug could cause weight gain.  In fact, this drug is more likely to cause weight loss.

Albuterol is generally used as a rescue inhaler.  That is, you would use Albuterol at a time you are having difficulty breathing.  A steroid inhaler on the other hand, is typically used on the regular bases to prevent symptoms, especially in severe asthmatics.  If a preventative is needed, non-steroids inhalers such as Cromolyn are available to milder asthmatics.

`Kestra
Avatar n tn
thanks....