Asthma Expert Forum
steroid dependent asthma

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

steroid dependent asthma

51 yr. female. I have been on prednisone for 15 months. Also taking Singulair, Advair, Xopenex as needed, and Zolair 1 X month.  Until las June I was otherwise healthy, no illness or problems. Every time I attempt to wean off, I get sick, can't breath, end up using nebulizer and large doses of steriods. Side effects becoming an issue and now seem to need constant antibiotics for chronic sinusitis. Sinus/nasal surgery in December did nothing to assist; in fact seems to have made it worse. My allergist is great but seems to be at a loss as well. I still have breathing issues, don't feel well, need to lose the extra weight and feel there MUST be alternatives to the dangerous long term use of steroids to treat allergy related asthma.
Your doctors have had you on good medication for the presumed diagnosis of asthma.  The problem getting control of your breathing and the seemingly refractory sinusitis suggests that there could be an underlying cause of both upper and lower respiratory symptoms.  This would also be suggested by the apparently sudden onset of your respiratory problems.

Your allergist sounds good but, with the steady worsening of your condition, you might want to get a second opinion and, if you do, your best bet would be an evaluation at a major asthma center.  If you live in the eastern United States that center would be Johns Hopkins Medical Center.  If you live in the western United States that center would be National Jewish Medical and Research Center.
read my article on 7/24 I have had the same problem but was on heavy medication for 4 yrs I brought a infrared lamp to calm my sinuses down but it also calmed my breathing down the article is called "Medinose PLUS" on website http://www.androv-medical.com/ go under Allergies and you will see this. I have stopped all my steroids and antibiotics. Its worth a try.!! good luck