Asthma Community
support network?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to asthma, asthma control, breathing difficulty, bronchodilators, children's asthma, drug allergies, exercise-induced asthma, house dust and indoor allergens, pets, school issues, and sports activity.

support network?

Hi everyone,

I have been looking for a support network for parents who have asthmatic children, and I was wondering if  such a network exists, or this is a support network?
About a year ago my son was diagnosed with asthma, and my husbands's and my own life haven't been the same since. I feel that we do not how to cope with it, and show our son the strength he needs to overcome it, as we live in constant fear, especially since we rush to the hospital every few weeks, and even more so, we feel pressured and stressed from the fact he doesn't like using his inhalers. I was wondering if anyone has any tips, stories, or guidance of how to cope with all of this, especially making our son use the inhaler, since he just refuses to use it. I heard about some programs that are looking for beta testers to test new products to incentivize children to use their inhalers - has anyone heard of such products?

Thanks,

Michelle
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hello and sorry for the late reply.

Understand your predicament. How old is your son? And do you use a spacer with the inhaler? This will help him to take his inhalers with ease. Is he on preventive inhalers? This will help prevent the attacks. Also, children who develop Asthma early in life will outgrow it soon. So, have open discussions with your son, as his symptoms improve and if he is able to play better, he should cooperate more. Don't pressurize him, just divert him or console him while taking the inhalers.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.