Asthma Expert Forum
what is normal SpO2

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

what is normal SpO2

I have a 1 year old son with asthma and he has pneumonia. My Dr. suggested using a Pulse oximeter. But I have no idea what a normal range is and when I should take him to the hospital. Could you let me know? I called the hospital here but they can't tell me any thing over the phone.
The normal range for oxygen saturation (SpO2) at 5,000 feet is 92 to 94% and at sea level 94 to 98%.  You should confirm this with your son's doctor.  At the same time ask when you should take him to the hospital.  That is, what signs should you be looking for, and these would include, but not be limited to, respiratory rate and the presence of intercostal retraction.  Waiting for the saturation to fall, is waiting too long.  If his pneumonia is bad enough to result in reduced oxygen levels, your son should probably be hospitalized.
1 Comment
A related discussion, SPO2 levels was started.