Asthma Expert Forum
whats wrong?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding: Asthma, Chronic Cough, Sinusitis, and other Respiratory Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

whats wrong?

i am really worried about my little brother he is only 8 years old and suffers from a very bad chest, he will cough and cough until he violently vomits, i have taken him to the doctors and they believe it to be asthma but when it hurts it is not in his chest but in his throat, he now has problems breathing, and cannot take part in any physical activities e.g running, playing anything that causes him to need to breath more than usual, and he is now feeling left out from his friends because he cannot go and play because if he can't catch his breath it causes him to choke and he is getting to the stage where he can't even laugh without going into hysterics of coughing, what sould i do?
242588_tn?1224275300
It is terrific that you should be so concerned about your brother.  His cough and shortness of breath could be asthma or cystic fibrosis (CF), or he could have some type of upper respiratory tract obstruction.  Tonsils can do this and result in severe sleep disturbance.  Another possibility is called tracheobronchomalacia or bronchomalacia, which is a softening of large airways that allows them to collapse and obstruct air flow.

He should be seen by an ENT doctor and have a very careful examination of his nose, throat, sinuses and larynx, by fiberoptic laryngoscopy.  If there is no blockage of the upper airways, they should do whatever is needed to confirm the diagnosis of asthma and, if that is the correct diagnosis, provide him with optimum pharmacologic therapy for asthma.  If he has asthma, you should do a careful assessment of your home environment for allergens, such as house dust mite, cockroaches, animal dander and mold.

His doctors may also want to check for CF and alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency.

Good luck
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Request an Appointment
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949