Ataxia Community
Ataxia? Cause?

WELCOME to the ATAXIA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Ataxia, which occurs when parts of the nervous system that control movement are damaged. People with ataxia experience a failure of muscle control in their arms and legs, resulting in a lack of balance and coordination or a disturbance of gait.

Ataxia? Cause?

I was wondering what would cause a sudden loss of control in fine hand movements due to hand-eye coordination problems for a young adult?  It effects actions like holding a plate to balance it, writing, turning a key in a lock, etc., but does not effect larger scale movements, like catching a ball.  If instinct says to turn the hand one way to balance a plate, for example, sometimes it takes a conscious effort to balance it, or else the hand will turn it in the opposite direction.  It is worst when performing actions while looking at the same time.  This has lasted almost a week, and had never happened before that.  Does anyone have any ideas as to what this is or why it started?
Thank you!
Hi  Timmy,

HOw are you today?
I  am presuming you are talking about youurself?

There would be  many questions to ask....
Do you have other family members with similar symptoms?
Do you tend to   drop things? do you have any other neurologic symptoms?

When talking about Ataxia  , there is a long list of types and causes. SOme are genetic, others are  idiopathic( meaning no known cause) It can be a symptom from anothe disease, and some medicines can be the cause.
It could be metabolic even.

Since there are such a vast many reason this could be happenening
I would encourage you to go see your doctor  since this is effecting you enough to be concerned. PCP would be the place to start. Then iiif he may refer you to a neurologist, or other specialist for further testing. Keep in mind, diagnosing ataxia and other neurological  problems can be a long process.

Let us know how you aare doing and hope you will post again with  more detailss .
Take good care and be well, Amo