Ataxia Community
Looking for treatments for OPCA
About This Community:

WELCOME to the ATAXIA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Ataxia, which occurs when parts of the nervous system that control movement are damaged. People with ataxia experience a failure of muscle control in their arms and legs, resulting in a lack of balance and coordination or a disturbance of gait.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Looking for treatments for OPCA

Hello.  I am a 28 year old male with Olivoponto cerebellar atrophy and a dandy walker malfoemation of my cerebellum.  Only my gait and legs are noticably affected--and just my coordination.   They are currently screening my DNA for SCA 5 and 26.  My mother also has OPCA.

I am here to find a treatment.  The mantra "there is no cure, only relief of symptoms"  is BS.  It is BS because progress is being made eyery day.  

anyway, I found several peer-reviewed articles that mentioned a deficciency (sp) in dehydrogenase within the brain...

Cerebellar α-Ketoglutarate dehydrogenase activity is reduced in spinocerebellar ataxia type 1
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ana.410350519/abstract

and another

Multiple system degeneration with glutamate dehydrogenase deficiency: pathology and biochemistry.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC488324/

as I understand, glutamate dehydrogenase is an enzyme... is there a spieces of probiotic (bacteria) that produces it?  how about Lactobacillus plantarum ?