Ataxia Community
Looking for treatments for OPCA

WELCOME to the ATAXIA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Ataxia, which occurs when parts of the nervous system that control movement are damaged. People with ataxia experience a failure of muscle control in their arms and legs, resulting in a lack of balance and coordination or a disturbance of gait.

Looking for treatments for OPCA

Hello.  I am a 28 year old male with Olivoponto cerebellar atrophy and a dandy walker malfoemation of my cerebellum.  Only my gait and legs are noticably affected--and just my coordination.   They are currently screening my DNA for SCA 5 and 26.  My mother also has OPCA.

I am here to find a treatment.  The mantra "there is no cure, only relief of symptoms"  is BS.  It is BS because progress is being made eyery day.  

anyway, I found several peer-reviewed articles that mentioned a deficciency (sp) in dehydrogenase within the brain...

Cerebellar α-Ketoglutarate dehydrogenase activity is reduced in spinocerebellar ataxia type 1
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/ana.410350519/abstract

and another

Multiple system degeneration with glutamate dehydrogenase deficiency: pathology and biochemistry.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC488324/

as I understand, glutamate dehydrogenase is an enzyme... is there a spieces of probiotic (bacteria) that produces it?  how about Lactobacillus plantarum ?
hi leolibby,

it is nice to meet you. This forum has just beeen added recently and not much activity yet.  it  looks      like you  have donne research that is over my head today:)

I dx   changes through the years since the genetics has not been pos. I have ms and some type of cerebellar ataxia . My cerebellum is atrophying  also.
I have been offered and tried different treatments(for symptoms) through the years. So far unfortunately none have   seemedto help or given relief.

II just wan tot o say hi and hope you are feeling ''well' today
take  care,  amo