Aa
A
A
Close
1402411 tn?1292879476
my Ataxia is Celiac???
My knees just buckle for no reason, I have vertigo and IHave Neouropathy everywhere. Legs,arms,digestive tract,colen,and girly parts are even numb. My DR says it is Celiac Disease and I need a neurologist, and a biopsy for insurance so they will pay for the Immunoglobulin Infusion.
    I am 1 yr. into the antibiotics for Lyme Disease and thought it was all finally going to get better. I had a lot of shingles during the lyme time. It went undiagnosed for ten years! dang docs never thought to do a test, so my shingles were chronic, despite daily valtrex.
    So now I have the neuropothy everywhere, need enemas to poop because the colon is paralyzed and the villi are dead so I get no nutrients from my  food. I cannot make heathy blood or anything else for that matter because of the severe malnutrition. I take vitamins galore and use a needle for B-12 so why does my DR want me to have Immunoglobulin infusions?
   He says I am in the low 6% of Celiacs who react Nurologically if I consume Gluten and that is causing the Ataxia. I have stopped eating Flour,sugar, and gluten. I find that is the easiest way to avoid it. Just avoid flour and sugar. I understand It will take 2-3 years for the villi in the intestine to come back, IF...big IF..I adhere to this diet strictly, but why the infusion? I feel guilty because I read it takes one thousand bags of red blood to make 1 bag of white cells. Also, will the neropothy go away? I dont drink or do any drugs. exept a small dose of morphine at bedtime...and my legs STILL keep me up.Thanks...
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
AMO
hii studio,

i know how toough it is fighting through trying to be  even just 'ok'
it sound like you have had alot of tests and dx's so far.
DO they mention doing a brain mri to look for lesion in your white matter or cerebellum artophy?
(having gluten ataxia does not have to have these findings though)

before i forget to mention, looking on the ataxia foundation site. there are goood threads about gluten ataxia and VERY SPECIFICC blood tests for it.

A person with gluten ataxia need not have celiac disease, so a biospy that can diagnose celiac will not nessicarily have a positive result. But that does not mean you do not have gluten ataxia.

it can seem confusion for  sure.

If what you have is gluten ataxia and ffollowing a strickt g/f diet does not garentee an improvement of symptoms.
I hope you find your   anaswers. This forum you see does not have alot of activity. I am no way an expert, but if i can help i will like too.
take care today, amo
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Ataxia Community Resources