Ataxia Community
so ataxia means undiagnosed?

WELCOME to the ATAXIA COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Ataxia, which occurs when parts of the nervous system that control movement are damaged. People with ataxia experience a failure of muscle control in their arms and legs, resulting in a lack of balance and coordination or a disturbance of gait.

so ataxia means undiagnosed?

After 3 1/2 years, my father is now told he has Ataxia. He experienced a popping in his brain back then followed by nausea, then shortly thereafter he began having episodes where his legs just suddenly give out on him or he feels vertigo or confusion for awhile, and slurs his words. Progressively he is more exhausted  and can't keep up with work.  After an MRI that ruled out a stroke, he first  was told that his optical info wasn't reaching the brain the right way, and was prescribed a very expensive pair of glasses to compensate. They don't work, and he is getting worse. Now the doctors diagnose ataxia, but doesn't that only decribe the symptoms? It seems to me that with the brain popping preceding his instability, could there be a brain lesion that didn't show up on the scan? Do lesions become more pronounced or visible over time? Doctors say its not MS or stroke, but what else is there? And is there a website explaining typical ataxia therapies in detail that one could do in the home, because this guy hates the doctors office and only has veterans insurence.
hi catheff,

i am sure it is hard to see your dad  being ill.
It would be good to know how old he is.

When  talking axtaia it can be a symptom associated with some diseases or even sometimes medications.  but also Ataxia are aa set of   alot of types ofdiseases thatt can be herediatry  or sporadic. There is something like BBCV (shoot it escapes me now) that is treatable.

Did his doctors go over his mri with him? Do you know how they decided  Ataxia? did they maybe see atrophy in his cerebellum?
I  understand not hhis wanting to go to doctors, but unfortuately when he is sick  that is what happens. I will presume he has seen neurologists at the v.a.

If possible getting to see a movement disorder specialist ( neuro) is the best. There are some (very few)that secialize in Ataxia.
i hope he is keeping safe. ..
He is lucky to have a sweet daughter trying to help him.
take caree, amo