Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
35 yo, 2mm ASD

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

35 yo, 2mm ASD

I was diagnosed as a child with an ASD.  I am not sure this has caused any issues, as they told me it closed up around 12.  For the past few years, I get lightheaded and just feel out of it.  Not really short of breath or swelling.  I was diagnosed with panic disorder and I was referred to a cardio "just in case" and I told him that I had ASD as a child and he did an Echocardiogram and thought he may have seen a hole still so ordered a TEE.  This confirmed I had a 2mm hole, but my heart structure is fine and he was only able to find the hole when I coughed.  He wants to do a cardiac catherization to test the pressure in my chambers.

I feel that if I am going to get the card cath anyway, it should be patched at the same time.  Is this unreasonable?  Can panic disorder mimic ASD symptoms?  Being diagnosed with this has caused more panic.  Not sure what my next step should be.
Tags: ASD, Heart, child, years
Since he is checking the pressure to see if it is causing you problems I would just wait. Now a days you have many options open to you and if it is causing you problems or even if it's not it is up to you what you have done. Discuss all of this with ur cardio doc that's what he is there for :)