Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
61 years old with ASD

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

61 years old with ASD

Hi, I am 61 years old man with ASD and this week I was found the hole is 15mm x 17mm. In the past 61 years life, I didn't feel there were something wrong with my heart until 2 wks ago when my cardiologist found my right atrial enlarged. Doctor want to fix it with catheterization. I am scared after I read some complication with catheterization, such as device embolization (1%), malpositioning (1%), post implantation arrhyhthmias (1-4%), thrombus formation (1.2%), cardiac perforation (0.1-0.4%), device erosion, increased levels of cardiac troponin, residual shunts and pericardial effusion, and also some transient ischemic attack and sudden death. What should I do now? fix it with catheterization or just leave it as it was? Please give me some suggestions and your help is appreciated very much!

Tags: 61 years
Treatment of ASD depends on the patient's age, the size of the hole, and where it's located in the heart. Most can be treated with cardiac catheterization in which a thin, flexible tube (a catheter) is inserted into a blood vessel in the leg that leads to the heart. Then a special implant is positioned into the hole and is designed to flatten against the septum on both sides to close and permanently seal the ASD.

Aspirin therapy is started after the procedure. I suggest you to follow up with your cardiologist as if the atrium has started increasing in size then you need to treat the ASD.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Not to worry. Since your Heart atrium is enlarged either you have to go for surgery OR Device closure.The latter is nowdays hazzle free and just two days of hospitalisation. The percentage  that you mentioned are very very low so not to worry. Choose the best cardiologist (who has performed hundred of such device closure) then those events that you mentioned can be taken care. I guess even if there is a problem then finally you can have the surgery to remove the implant as well as chance of  closing the hole. Better take the advice of doctor and have trust in them.

Chari
I had my ASD closed three weeks ago, that night of the ASD closure, I got faint when I got up from hospital bed, and EKG showed my heart stopped to beat for 17 seconds. I fainted before and never know that caused my heart stop to beat. Doctors decided to implant a pacemaker for me. So, two days late, I had the pacemaker implanted.
Now, I am home and feelling having more energy than before. my primary doctor said my face color was better than before. I think the pacemaker  that I have just for IN CASE that I get faint again. I'll see Doctors in two month to let them check the both situation.