Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
ASD

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

ASD

I have just had an ASD repaired by open heart surgey. I was aware that the right side of my heart was dilated. In the letter from the consultant it said that there is preserved left ventricular systolic function. Was  this caused by the ASD or is it something seperate?
NOT SURE BUT FROM WHAT I WAS TOLD MOST VSD AND ASD THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT CAUSES THEM
GOOD LUCK
MICHELLE