Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
ASD and enlarged aortic root?

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

ASD and enlarged aortic root?

My 4 year old son had an ultrasound a few weeks ago, during his yearly check for atrial septal defect.  The hole measured about the same as last year (5 cm).  His doctor was hoping to see some change or closure, which obviously didn't happen.

The thing that worries me is that his aortic root measured 1.9 cm last year, and this year it measured 2.5cm.  He weighs 36 pounds and is 42 inches tall.  I may be wrong, but I believe his z-score would be 4.35.  From what I've read, this is not a good thing.  Is there a correlation between ASD and enlarged aortic root?  And what treatment would we possibly be looking at in the near future, if any?  We do have an appointment in a few weeks, but I am not very good at waiting.  Thanks for any information.

C.
I meant the ASD measures 5 mm, not cm.  
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, ASD which do not close by the time the child is 5 years are unlikely to close on their own. The increasing size of the aortic root may not be related to the ASD. Your doctor may ask for repeat test or may monitor the size. According to studies done, the Amplatzer is an efficient prosthesis that can be safely applied in children with secundum ASD. Please discuss this with your doctor am sure he will provide further assistance. Regards.