Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
ASD at 56

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

ASD at 56

Hi - I have just been told that I have a ASD or PFO after a cardiac catheterisation and have to go for a TEE.  I have a mildly enlarged left and right atrium.  Will the cardiologist close this hole?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi, therapy for ASD will depend on whether the patient has developed pulmonary hypertension. But generally in patients with significant ASD, elective closure of the defect is done, if there are no contraindications for this procedure. So, based on clinical symptoms and the cardiac status, your doctor may decide on surgical closure of the defect. Regards.