Aa
A
A
Close
ASD diagnosed at the age of 48
Hi my mother is 48 years old now and was complaining about tiredness and giddiness from past couple of months . She also had a stroke recently without any pre-indications.

Upon diagnosis we were informed that she is suffering with ASD of about 30 mm .

Please let me know the best approach to cure this defect and the risks involved post medication.
Cancel
3 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1711789 tn?1361311607
Hi there!

Well, without knowing the relevant clinical details or a detailed clinical evaluation, it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. Though the larger shunts may ideally need to be closed surgically or by interventional procedure using a device; the risk factors of doing a surgery would need to be well evaluated against the risks of not doing a surgery; which may need to be avoided with large shunts/ pulmonary hypertension etc.
                      Some of the complications associated with ASD are shunt reversal, pulmonary hypertension, cardiac arrhythmias, strokes etc. In cases where a surgery is contraindicated, the patient is managed symptomatically on medications. I would suggest discussing the situation, the suggested management plan and the expected prognosis in detail with her treating cardiologist.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Comment
Cancel
1711789 tn?1361311607
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Hi Kaul,

Thank you so much for the valuable inputs . Below is the report of my mother after initial diagnosis.

Dilated RA / RV.

30mm OS ASD , L->R Shunt.

Mild TR and PAH

Intact IVS

Normal Valves

Normal LV , systolic function

I am looking for more info on how to proceed with this . Doctor has suggested for a Open heart surgery .
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community Resources