Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
ASD diagnoses for my 11yo son with previous dx of neuroblastoma cancer

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

Hello, my name is Amber and I am mom to 4 great kiddos:0) My youngest son, Jakob is 11yo. When he was 3 weeks old he was diagnosed with neuroblastoma cancer and underwent surgery and chemo. He has been in remission ever since but goes in for check ups once a year with his oncologist. Because he was given doxorubicin as a chemo drug and it can cause heart damage he has an EKG and echo every other year. In all these years nothing has ever shown up, until this past appointment on Thursday. I received a call saying that they found a hole in his heart that has never been there before. I am pretty sure they said it was an ASD.

I am terrified. With everything that our son has already been through I don't even know how to process this. Everything that I have read on ASD says that it is something that they are born with. But, with as many echocardiograms and EKGs as he has had, it has never shown up before. That leaves me wondering if this is something that could have been caused by the chemo he had as a baby.

I guess I am just looking for advice and support. Can ASDs worsen? Is there anything that I need to watch for/worry about? I am waiting on the cardiologist to call back on a plan of action. Right now they are going over all of his previous tests to compare to the new results. Waiting on the doctor has to be the hardest thing to do...any and all opinions/suggestions/advice is welcome.

Thank you!
So sorry for all your son has been thru. Thank god he's still alive & fighting. My son was born with an ASD & a VSD both moderate to large in size. At just two weeks old they put him on medicine called digoxin & lasix to help him. The lasix was to help get rid of the excess blood fluid in his lungs caused by the holes in his heart & the digoxin was Used to treat te heart failure. At 2 months he was put on a 3rd medicine called captoprill to help his breathing. He is now 3 months & is doing better with significant weight gain they close. He struggled with his weight for some time. I wish your son nothing but the best. I'm sure the same will apply to him. When he gains weight & with the help of medication it will close.