Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
ASD of size 6-8mm in adult

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

ASD of size 6-8mm in adult

Hi am 30 year old, recently during routine check up using 2D echo for heart found that i have an ASD from left to right of size 6.5MM. And suggested to do TEE, when i did TEE i got the following result,
6X8mm secundum ASD(Left to right shunt)
Mild RA/RV dilation
Septal motion flat
Normal pulmonary drainage

doctor told that its not serious case, but i got feared and created anxiety.

Is there any chance that it will close automatically. Or do i need to any other checkup's
or just do the followup

With regards,
shilesh
Tags: ASD
Hi I am James, I had two holes in my heart, ASD OSTIUM SECUNDUM, left to right shunt with 2.5mm and 3.00mm hole, I had gone thru open heart surgery to close it and now its the thing of past. Please seek advice from your doctor on what he suggests. As the medical science is advancing there is no risk even if you go thru a surgery. I heard most of the cases these kind of things dont need a surgery but just in case..
As per the doctor no need of surgery now. do the follow up now.