Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
Can I marry after Heart Surgery(ASD)

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

Can I marry after Heart Surgery(ASD)

Life went on well with fun till such time i came to know that im a heart patient with Conginental heart Disease.I m told i have devloped Artial Septal Defect for which im supposed to under go open heart surgery...Now my doubt is that after surgery can marry and have and have my normal life asusual or keep my aloof from all the relations....Please guide me
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Fortunately most patients of ASD who get surgical repair done have a normal life expectancy and go on to live otherwise healthy lives. With a small to moderate atrial septal defect, a person may live a normal life span without symptoms. Larger defects may cause disability by middle age because of increased blood flow and shunting of blood back into the pulmonary circulation. so this basically depends on the degree of defect.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
Of course ! I had ASD primum repair 29 years ago via open heart surgery. I have been married for 15 years and have led a totally normal life ....

I have been discharged from the hospital 16 years. To be honest now a days I don't even feel like it happened and grateful that I had it done as I am as normal as the next person :)
Ya, u can lead a normal life.  I had ASD problem married and had two deliveries both normal.  Only recently at the age of 48, I underwent intravenous ASD closure.  My married life is normal and happy.  Consult your cardiologist and act accordingly.  U should not have any problem.  
Dear Mam
Thank you for the reply..By your name i feel you should be a indian ..
Whre are you from ...have you got the defect closed by surgery ...or  by device...Im sorry if am troubling asking you this information ,,This info from you will boost my strength and menatally i get prepared..I just want to know how many days it took for you  to get normal after the sugery and risks
you faced
I had gone thru ASD Closure Open Heart Surgery last year, it took around 3 months to recover with limited physical works and food.. After surgery, the first 3 months you need to watch out for what you eat and what you do. After that your body will start recovering what you have lost. Painful journey but good for long run,