Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
Infections after septal defect repair

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

Infections after septal defect repair

Should I be concerned about contracting a virus ( common cold) or a bacterial infection such as strep throat. I had three patches put in via laparoscopy to repair my atrial septal defects. Can these common infections affect or spread to my repairs?
Hi welcome to our community... I happened upon your post and just wanted to stop by and say hello and Happy New Year.  Hoping others will stop by with some suggestions.
yes, hope it has healed up by now.

Was wondering what insurance would pay for A.S.D. repair, as I have one also.  It was only diagnosed in 2009 during a 256 slice cat scan, C.C.T.A. angiography at Mt. Sinai hospital in the heart of Harlem, N.y.c.
Age 50 +

Please advise .