Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
Infections after septal defect repair

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

Infections after septal defect repair

Should I be concerned about contracting a virus ( common cold) or a bacterial infection such as strep throat. I had three patches put in via laparoscopy to repair my atrial septal defects. Can these common infections affect or spread to my repairs?
Hi welcome to our community... I happened upon your post and just wanted to stop by and say hello and Happy New Year.  Hoping others will stop by with some suggestions.