Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
Recently Diagnosed

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

Recently Diagnosed

I am 39 and was just diagnosed with ASD.  I have been having several problems as expected.  I was wondering, at my age, what i should expect.  I fully understand that it is possible I was diagnosed too late before problems occured, but knowing what others have gone through should help me a bunch.

I have asthma breathing, swelling and pain all over my body.  No surgery yet, I am doing a stress test next month before treatment will occur.

I am scare of course, but at the same time, I am thrilled to finally know what has made me sick since childhood.

Thanks for your time, god bless.
ASD is a congenital heart defect in which the wall that separates the upper heart chambers (atria) does not close completely. ASD may not require treatment if there are few or no symptoms, or if the defect is small and such a person may live a normal life span without symptoms. However by middle age, symptoms start appearing and then surgical treatment may be needed.

Surgeons perform open-heart surgery to close the atrial septal defect. Nowadays robotic surgery is quite common. You can consult a cardiac surgeon and discuss the treatment options with him.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.