Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) Community
Residual hole

WELCOME to the ATRIAL SEPTAL DEFECT COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions relating to Atrial Septal Defect (ASD) which is a hole in the part of the septum that separates the atria (the upper chambers of the heart). This hole allows oxygen-rich blood from the left atrium to flow into the right atrium instead of flowing into the left ventricle as it should. This means that oxygen-rich blood gets pumped back to the lungs, where it has just been, instead of going to the body.

Residual hole

Is there any chance developing residual hole after going thru Patch closure of Open heart Surgery? I had gone thru surgery as I had 2 holes last year. On routine check up 2D echo report always read NO RESIDUAL ASD.
Hi there!

Though there always remains the possibility of a residual hole after a patch repair, the defect if any is usually very small to create any issues and usually does not require a second repair. Holes do not usually ‘develop’ after a repair. Since the echo does not show any abnormal flow to show a residual hole, there is nothing to worry about.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you for your valuable comment that relieved me at large extent, also I play soccer on weekends I am assuming that it does not affect the body or heart.